How to test f=ma using trolley and ticker timer?

In summary, to test mass affects acceleration, it might be correct to change the mass of the plasticine attached to the trolley and measure the length of the ticker tape strip with the constant variable being the angle of the inclined plane. The experiment outlined in this conversation involved measuring the locations of markings made on the ticker tape strip as the trolley moves along it. The length of the ticker tape is something that needs to be determined first and then the acceleration can be calculated using the appropriate 'suvat' equation.
threy
To test mass affects acceleration.
is it correct to change the mass of plasticine attached to the trolley and measure the length of the ticker tape strip with the constant variable be the angle of the inclined plane?

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be, depending on exactly how your "ticker timer" works. The experiments that I've done using a tape strip involved measuring not the length of the entire tape, but instead the locations of markings made on it as the trolley moves along it. Can you provide more details about your apparatus so we can be sure we're all discussing the same thing?

jtbell said:
It might be, depending on exactly how your "ticker timer" works. The experiments that I've done using a tape strip involved measuring not the length of the entire tape, but instead the locations of markings made on it as the trolley moves along it. Can you provide more details about your apparatus so we can be sure we're all discussing the same thing?

My apparatus includes inclined plane, ticker tape, ticker timer, wooden block, trolley and plasticine.

Is it correct to measure the length of the ticker tape strip to indicate the change in acceleration? Why?

What length of the ticker tape are you talking about?
What are you considering as the start and finish of the ticker tape?
I know how I did the experiment, but an outline of your procedure might also be in order.
Somehow you have to convert the distance between ticks into an average velocity, and do a calculation to find the acceleration.
How do you think you should do that?

You can find the acceleration by measuring the spacing between dots at a point where they are close together and then measuring the spacing further along the tape. The two dot spacings will give you the two speeds and the number of spaces in between will give the time taken for the change in speed. That will give acceleration, using the appropriate 'suvat' equation.
But there are a few different combinations of the measurements you can do with ticker timer tape results. Just remember that tape distance represents s and number of dots represents t.

What materials are needed to conduct a test of f=ma using a trolley and ticker timer?

To conduct this test, you will need a trolley, a ticker timer, ticker tape, a ruler, a stopwatch, and a set of known masses.

How do I set up the trolley and ticker timer for the test?

First, set up the trolley on a level surface with the ticker timer attached to the side of the trolley. Then, thread the ticker tape through the ticker timer and attach one end to the trolley. Make sure the ticker timer is plugged in and turned on.

What are the steps for conducting the test?

1. Place the known mass on the trolley and release it from rest.2. Start the stopwatch as soon as the trolley starts moving.3. Let the trolley travel a known distance (e.g. 1 meter).4. Stop the stopwatch once the trolley reaches the end of the distance.5. Use the ticker tape to determine the average velocity of the trolley during the time it took to travel the distance.6. Repeat the test with different masses and distances to gather multiple data points.

How do I calculate the acceleration of the trolley?

To calculate the acceleration, use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity (which is 0 in this case), and t is the time it took for the trolley to travel the distance. Plug in the values from your data points to determine the acceleration for each mass.

What are some common sources of error in this experiment?

Some sources of error in this experiment could include friction between the trolley and the surface, air resistance, and human error in starting and stopping the stopwatch. It is important to take multiple data points and calculate the average to minimize these errors.