How to Transform Limits and Factor in the Jacobian for Polar Coordinates?

• Thread starter aruwin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary: There,I summarized it for you.In summary, given x=rcosθ, y=2rcosθ, integrate: r2cos2θ+r2sin2θ ≤ 1.
aruwin
Given x=rcosθ, y=2rcosθ

Integrate the following:
I = ∫∫D{x2+y2/4} dxdy

D = {(x,y)|x2+y2/4≤1}

My first attempt was that I substitute the polar coordinate given into the domain for x and y and so I got rcosθ+rsinθ≤1. And from here, I don't know what else to do,I am stuck.Help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey aruwin.

If you are going to make a transformation you need to change the limits as well as factor in the Jacobian going from (x,y) to (r,theta).

Show us your working with how you did the transformation from (x,y) to (r,theta) with x=rcos(theta), y=rsin(theta) and tell us where you get stuck if you get stuck.

hi aruwin! :smile:
aruwin said:
… rcosθ+rsinθ≤1 …

nooo …

D is r2cos2θ+r2sin2θ ≤ 1, isn't it? :wink:

get some sleep! :zzz:​

EDIT: ah, seems it was a mis-type …

but you can now write that as simply r2 ≤ 1 :wink:

Last edited:
chiro said:
Hey aruwin.

If you are going to make a transformation you need to change the limits as well as factor in the Jacobian going from (x,y) to (r,theta).

Show us your working with how you did the transformation from (x,y) to (r,theta) with x=rcos(theta), y=rsin(theta) and tell us where you get stuck if you get stuck.

x is already given as rcosθ and y as 2rsinθ, so they are already in their polar coordinates,right? Now I have to change the limits too and what I did was subsititutiing those x and y values in their polar forms into x2+y2/4 ≤1
So from here, I get r2cos2θ+r2sin2θ≤1.
And I square root all of them and they became
√(r2cos2θ+r2sin2θ)≤1.

From here, clearly there's a right angle triangle with hypothenuse 1. But how do I get the limits for θ? And for r, I guess it's pretty obvious that it's limit is from 0 to 1. And that's all I was able to do,if it's correct.

Related to How to Transform Limits and Factor in the Jacobian for Polar Coordinates?

1. How do I integrate this using calculus?

Integration using calculus involves finding the antiderivative of a function and evaluating it at specific limits. This can be done using techniques such as u-substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution.

2. Can I integrate this without using calculus?

Yes, there are other methods of integration that do not involve calculus, such as using geometric formulas, the method of partial fractions, and the method of substitution.

3. What is the purpose of integration?

The main purpose of integration is to find the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is also used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve continuous change.

4. How do I know when to use definite or indefinite integration?

Definite integration involves finding the exact value of the integral over a specific interval, while indefinite integration involves finding the general antiderivative of a function. Definite integration is used when a specific value is needed, while indefinite integration is used for finding functions.

5. Can I use software to help me integrate?

Yes, there are many software programs and online tools available that can help with integration. These tools use algorithms and numerical methods to approximate the value of an integral, making it easier and faster to solve complex integrals.