Setting up a Double Integral in Polar Coordinates

In summary, the equation of the intersection of the two surfaces in terms of x and y is z = r^2 - 7. Setting up the integral in polar coordinates gives z = r^2 - 7.
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

Consider the 'ice cream cone' bounded by
z =
sqrt1a.gif
14 − x2 − y2 and z =
sqrt1a.gif
x2 + y2
.(a) Find the equation of the intersection of the two surfaces in terms of x and y.
(b) Set up the integral in polar coordinates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part a without any trouble. You just set each equation equal to one another and get:
##x^2+y^2=7##

I also found my limits of integration just fine: ##\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\sqrt{7}} rdrd\theta##

I just can't seem to set up the integrand correctly. I thought it would be: ##x^2+y^2-7 = (rcos(\theta))^2+(rsin(\theta))^2 - 7 = r^2 (cos^2(\theta)+sin^2(\theta)) - 7 = r^2-7##

That would make the integral: ##\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\sqrt{7}} (r^3-7r) drd\theta ##

However that's not correct and I can't seem to find the correct one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:

Homework Statement

Consider the 'ice cream cone' bounded by
z =
sqrt1a.gif
14 − x2 − y2 and z =
sqrt1a.gif
x2 + y2
.(a) Find the equation of the intersection of the two surfaces in terms of x and y.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part a without any trouble. You just set each equation equal to one another and get:
##x^2+y^2=7##

I also found my limits of integration just fine: ##\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\sqrt{7}} rdrd\theta##

I just can't seem to set up the integrand correctly. I thought it would be: ##x^2+y^2-7 = (rcos(\theta))^2+(rsin(\theta))^2 - 7 = r^2 (cos^2(\theta)+sin^2(\theta)) - 7 = r^2-7##

That would make the integral: ##\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\sqrt{7}} (r^3-7r) drd\theta ##

However that's not correct and I can't seem to find the correct one.
I suppose those equations should read

##z = \sqrt{ 14 − x^2 − y^2\ }\ ## and ##\ z = \sqrt{ x^2 + y^2\ }## .

What is it that integrating is supposed to give you ?

SammyS said:
I suppose those equations should read

##z = \sqrt{ 14 − x^2 − y^2\ }\ ## and ##\ z = \sqrt{ x^2 + y^2\ }## .

Whoops, I meant to fix those before I posted...

What is it that integrating is supposed to give you ?

Some sort of ice cream cone shape. Perhaps I'm supposed to integrate using those other two equations instead of where they intersect?

You need to integrate$$
\iint_R z_{upper} - z_{lower}~dA$$where ##R## is the region you have figured out, and the ##z##'s are expressed in terms of ##r,\theta##.

Drakkith said:
My question could have been more specific.

Are you integrating to find surface area, or to find volume?

SammyS said:
My question could have been more specific.

Are you integrating to find surface area, or to find volume?

I'm pretty sure it's volume. We haven't done anything with surface area yet.

LCKurtz said:
You need to integrate$$
\iint_R z_{upper} - z_{lower}~dA$$where ##R## is the region you have figured out, and the ##z##'s are expressed in terms of ##r,\theta##.

Ah, of course. It's just like Calc 2 where you find the region between two lines, except this time it's 2 surfaces.

So that should be:
##\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^\sqrt{7} (\sqrt{14-r^2} - r) rdrd\theta = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^\sqrt{7} (r\sqrt{14-r^2} - r^2) drd\theta##
Because ##x^2+y^2 = r^2##, so ##\sqrt{14-x^2-y^2} = \sqrt{14-(x^2+y^2)} = \sqrt{14-r^2}##
And ##\sqrt{x^2+y^2} = \sqrt{r^2} = r##

Now to integrate...

Related to Setting up a Double Integral in Polar Coordinates

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system of representing points in a plane using a distance from the origin and an angle from a fixed reference direction.

2. How do I convert from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (r,θ), you can use the following formulas: r = √(x2 + y2) and θ = tan-1(y/x).

3. When would I use polar coordinates instead of Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates are often used to describe circular or radial patterns, such as in polar graphs or in physics problems involving circular motion.

4. How do I set up a double integral in polar coordinates?

To set up a double integral in polar coordinates, you need to determine the limits of integration for both the radial distance (r) and the angle (θ). These limits can be found by sketching the region of integration and identifying the curves that bound it. The integrand should also be expressed in terms of r and θ.

5. What are some common mistakes when setting up a double integral in polar coordinates?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to convert the integrand to polar coordinates, using the wrong limits of integration, and not correctly setting up the order of integration (i.e. integrating with respect to r first and then θ). It is important to carefully check the setup of the integral to ensure it accurately represents the region of integration and the desired calculation.