How to truly UNDERSTAND physics and not just memorising?

In summary, the person is not new to the forum and has previously posted on topics related to calculus and physics. They appreciate the help they have received for their assignments and exams, but their main concern is learning rather than memorizing. They consider themselves a good student, but despite passing their courses, they do not feel like they are truly learning. They give an example of their experience in the Fluid Mechanics course, where they have memorized formulas but do not understand the physics behind them. They struggle to apply these concepts in real-life situations and see their courses as boring. The person is eager to understand how physics works to be able to find solutions to real-world problems.
thegreengineer
First of all, I am not new here in the forum. What I mean with this is that I have previously posted several threads in the past (about calculus and physics). Even though most of your answers you give to the threads help me a lot for my assignments and exams (which I really appreciate, thanks :D) my main issue is about how to learn and not memorise things. I explain you:

I consider myself to be a good student. I always do my homework, study for the exams and passing the courses (or at least avoid failing them). I am in 4th semester in Engineering School studying Mechatronics; however I don't see any progress in my learning. With this I mean is that even though I am passing my subjects I don't learn (or I don't feel I am truly learning).

Take as an example the course of Fluid Mechanics. I am taking this course and I feel I am going good having passed the exams with 100 (because the teacher allowed us to use sheets with the formulas and taking out our notebooks to check the notes of what we have written in class) and I have the feeling I'm not learning the physics behind the course. I can memorise the fact that the formula to calculate the vorticity of a fluid:

[itex]\omega = \nabla \times \mathbf{v}[/itex]

And if in a test they give me the velocity of the fluid and I know what the del operator equals to the thing I proceed to do is to plot in the equation, do the math and get the problem correct; but what does the vorticity of a fluid actually mean? How to appreciate that phenomenon in a real life situation? What's the physics behind the concept?

Or for example in an exam they could ask me to calculate the center of pressure of a body, doing exactly the same thing; having the data, plotting, doing the math and getting the right answer, but I don't know exactly what center of pressure exactly means?

And Fluid Mechanics is not the only subject in which this happens, it also happens in other courses I have taken or that I'm taking like Strength of Materials, Materials Science, Waves, Thermodynamics and so on; and I find this way too frustrating because as a future engineer if I were asked to find the solution to a problem or to design something new I would not be able to do so because I don't have the proper bases (just memorising formulas and facts) and this makes the physics courses look so boring!

I don't know what to do, because I'm eager to understand how the world works from the perspective of physics to find solutions to it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
MarcusAu314 said:
First of all, I am not new here in the forum. What I mean with this is that I have previously posted several threads in the past (about calculus and physics). Even though most of your answers you give to the threads help me a lot for my assignments and exams (which I really appreciate, thanks :D) my main issue is about how to learn and not memorise things. I explain you:

I consider myself to be a good student. I always do my homework, study for the exams and passing the courses (or at least avoid failing them). I am in 4th semester in Engineering School studying Mechatronics; however I don't see any progress in my learning. With this I mean is that even though I am passing my subjects I don't learn (or I don't feel I am truly learning).

Take as an example the course of Fluid Mechanics. I am taking this course and I feel I am going good having passed the exams with 100 (because the teacher allowed us to use sheets with the formulas and taking out our notebooks to check the notes of what we have written in class) and I have the feeling I'm not learning the physics behind the course. I can memorise the fact that the formula to calculate the vorticity of a fluid:

[itex]\omega = \nabla \times \mathbf{v}[/itex]

And if in a test they give me the velocity of the fluid and I know what the del operator equals to the thing I proceed to do is to plot in the equation, do the math and get the problem correct; but what does the vorticity of a fluid actually mean? How to appreciate that phenomenon in a real life situation? What's the physics behind the concept?

Or for example in an exam they could ask me to calculate the center of pressure of a body, doing exactly the same thing; having the data, plotting, doing the math and getting the right answer, but I don't know exactly what center of pressure exactly means?

And Fluid Mechanics is not the only subject in which this happens, it also happens in other courses I have taken or that I'm taking like Strength of Materials, Materials Science, Waves, Thermodynamics and so on; and I find this way too frustrating because as a future engineer if I were asked to find the solution to a problem or to design something new I would not be able to do so because I don't have the proper bases (just memorising formulas and facts) and this makes the physics courses look so boring!

I don't know what to do, because I'm eager to understand how the world works from the perspective of physics to find solutions to it.

Thanks.

Memorization and understanding are not mutually exclusive.

That equation you posted means this fluid has a position varying velocity vector which is also rotating; del cross a vector means that the vector field is rotating in general.

The equations map to physical phenomena in the real world, so you have to extrapolate what they mean to the physical phenomena you're trying to engineer and calculate with the physics you're using.

1. How can I truly understand physics and not just memorize equations?

The key to understanding physics is to focus on the concepts behind the equations rather than just memorizing the equations themselves. This involves breaking down complex topics into smaller, more manageable parts and understanding how they relate to each other. It also helps to visualize and apply the concepts in real-world situations.

2. Is it important to have a strong math background to understand physics?

While having a strong math background can certainly make understanding physics easier, it is not a requirement. Many concepts in physics can be understood without advanced math skills, and there are often visual and intuitive explanations available for those who struggle with math.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, it is important to practice regularly and to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try to explain the problem to someone else or teach it to someone, as this can help solidify your understanding of the concepts involved.

4. What resources can I use to better understand physics?

There are many resources available to help you understand physics, including textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. It is important to find the resources that work best for you and to use them consistently to deepen your understanding.

5. How can I apply my understanding of physics to real-world situations?

To apply your understanding of physics to real-world situations, it is important to look for connections between the concepts you have learned and the world around you. This can involve analyzing everyday phenomena, reading about current research in physics, or even conducting your own experiments. By actively seeking out real-world applications, you can deepen your understanding of physics and see its relevance in our daily lives.