How to understand Friedman equation

• Thread starter cyc454
  • Start date
In summary: Basically, there is a huge discrepancy between the theoretically predicted value for the vacuum energy and the experimentally observed value. This is known as the "cosmological constant problem" and is one of the biggest mysteries in modern physics.
cyc454
Hi, can you help mi understand Friedman equation with cosmological constant:
\begin{equation}
(\frac{\dot a}{a})^{2} - \frac{8\pi G \rho}{3}=-\frac{k}{a^2}+\frac{\Lambda}{3}
\end{equation}
I don't get it: Einstein wanted to get flat (##k=0##) and static (##(\frac{\dot a}{a})^{2}=0##) model with ##\rho>0## so he put ##\Lambda## into his equation of field (Friedman equation should look like above I think). He put ##\Lambda## greater then 0 so how it is possible that it compensates positive curvature caused by ##\rho##?

Space news on Phys.org
The Einstein static universe is closed, i.e. it has positive spatial curvature.

soo... Did he put k=1 or what? Is ##\lambda## required in that case?

The Friedman equation is merely a conversion of Einstein's field equations into differential equations that have calculable results. I fail to see how that is controversial.

Last edited:
cyc454 said:
soo... Did he put k=1 or what? Is ##\lambda## required in that case?
Yes, ##k=1##. What is ##\lambda##?

sorry, my mistake;) I am asking about ##\Lambda##---so Einstein thought that ##\rho## of our galaxy (which he considered our universe) is too small? That's why he put ##\Lambda## into his eq.? And how is it possible that non-empty universe with k=0 is flat? I thought that presence of matter calls curvature of spacetime..

Last edited:
No, he assumed a closed, matter-filled universe. Without ##\Lambda##, this universe eventually collapses under the attractive force of gravity. The cosmological constant provides a repulsive component that keeps the universe static.

the easiest (at least conceptually) reason to see why someone would add this parameter is by looking at the Lagrangian of matter and adding an extra constant term:
[itex] L_{matter} \rightarrow L_{matter} + \frac{ \Lambda}{8 \pi G} [/itex]
(http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Sept02/Padmanabhan/Pad1_1.html)

This will keep the equations of motion for the matter unchanged. However it will affect the equations for the metric because this term will be (like matter) coupled to the gravitational field ( [itex] S \sim \int d^4 x \sqrt{-g} \Lambda [/itex]) (and thus add the cosmological constant). So mathematically it is totally legible to add this term...
I don't know but since this term is actually allowed by the mathematics, even if someone wants to drop it away, they should find a reason to set it equal to zero...So I don't understand how Einstein named it 1 of his biggest mistakes...

ChrisVer said:
I don't understand how Einstein named it 1 of his biggest mistakes...

He said that because, if he hadn't been so fixated on finding a static solution for the universe, he would have realized that his original field equation, without a cosmological constant, predicted a dynamic universe--i.e., the only solutions for a homogeneous, isotropic mass distribution were either expanding or contracting. So he could have told astronomers that his theory predicted that the universe would be expanding (or contracting) and advised them to look for evidence of this. But he didn't.

I agree that, conceptually, the cosmological constant term should be there; there is no a priori reason to expect it to be zero. But since, experimentally, it has turned out to be very small, Einstein could still have reasoned as I described above, based on his original field equation (with no cosmological constant), and his conclusion would have been valid (at least as a good enough approximation for that time).

ChrisVer said:
So I don't understand how Einstein named it 1 of his biggest mistakes...

I am not convinced that he did.

Can anyone find a source for this that doesn't trace back to the tall-tale-teller George Gamow?

Last edited:
George Jones said:
Can anyone find a source for this that doesn't trace back to the tall-tale-teller George Gamow?

With a simple google search, for historical maybe reasons:
http://phys.org/news/2011-10-einstein-wrong.html
however, Einstein was more concerned with its consequences for general relativity. If the universe was expanding, the cosmological constant wasn't needed. His beautiful equations had been right to begin with. In 1931, Einstein came to Mount Wilson to shake Hubble's hand and thank him for saving relativity from the cosmological constant, whose invention Einstein denounced as "the greatest blunder of my life."

unfortunately many moe articles write about this... In contrast I give also this:
http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...-one-of-his-most-oft-quoted-phrases/278508/2/
which targets against Gamow... of course (in my opinion) it's all a game of words... in this Livio states that Einstein just didn't like the cosmological constant (proved by Einstein's letters to friends) but of course he didn't call it his biggest blunder (thus in the end he tries to change the words to be smoother)...
PeterDonis said:
But since, experimentally, it has turned out to be very small.

Apart from those "Einstein's things" even the smallness of the cosmological constant (or better put the vacuum energy) is a big question in cosmology nowadays. I mean, whatever you do, you have to find a mechanism that generates such a small value for the vacuum energy (maybe through a fine-tuning if I understand that term correct)...

Last edited:
ChrisVer said:
the smallness of the cosmological constant (or better put the vacuum energy) is a big question in cosmology nowadays

Yes, it is. John Baez gives a good quick summary of the main issue here.

Related to How to understand Friedman equation

1. What is the Friedman equation?

The Friedman equation is a mathematical equation used in cosmology to describe the expansion of the universe. It relates the rate of expansion of the universe to the matter and energy content of the universe.

2. Why is the Friedman equation important?

The Friedman equation is important because it helps us understand the history and evolution of the universe. By studying the expansion rate of the universe, we can learn more about the distribution of matter and energy and the fate of the universe.

3. How is the Friedman equation derived?

The Friedman equation is derived from Einstein's field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of space-time and the matter and energy in the universe. It is a key component of the Friedmann-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker (FLRW) metric, which is used to model the expanding universe.

4. What are the variables in the Friedman equation?

The Friedman equation includes several variables, including the Hubble parameter (H), which represents the rate of expansion of the universe, and the energy density (ρ) and pressure (P) of the matter and energy in the universe. It also includes the cosmological constant (Λ), which represents the energy density of empty space.

5. How does the Friedman equation relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Friedman equation is a key component of the Big Bang theory, which is the prevailing model for the origin and evolution of the universe. It describes the expansion of the universe from a highly dense and hot state to its current state, and helps us understand the early stages of the universe's development.