Jeans Instability in an Expanding Universe

In summary: Using the fact that ##\rho=\rho_0a^{-3}## and simplifying, we arrive at the final result:$$\frac{\partial }{\partial t}(\delta \rho) + 3\delta \rho\frac{\dot{a}}{a}+ \rho_0(\nabla \cdot \delta \vec{v})+ \rho_0\delta \vec{v}\cdot(\nabla \ln a)=0$$I hope this summary has helped you understand the derivation process better. If you have any further questions
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am trying to derive the equation for a case, where we have a dust(zero-pressure) in an expanding universe.

There are 4 equations but I think exercising on one of them would be helpful for me.

I am trying to derive the equation for a case, where we have a dust(zero-pressure) in an expanding universe.

There are 4 equations but I think exercising on one of them would be helpful for me.

So we have a continuity equation

$$\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \nabla \cdot (\rho \vec{v})=0$$

In an expanding universe

##\rho = \rho_0a^{-3}##

##\vec{v} = \frac{\dot{a}}{a}\vec{r}##

##\vec{r} = \vec{r_0}a##

where ##a=a(t)##

So the problem is I am not sure how to define the perturbation

I thought I can write

$$\rho = \rho_0a^{-3} + \delta \rho$$
$$\vec{v} = \frac{\dot{a}}{a}\vec{r} + \delta \vec{v}$$

If I put it into the equation I get

$$\frac{\partial }{\partial t}(\rho_0a^{-3} + \delta \rho) + \nabla \cdot ((\rho_0a^{-3} + \delta \rho)(\frac{\dot{a}}{a}\vec{r} + \delta \vec{v}))=0$$

$$\frac{\partial }{\partial t}(\rho_0a^{-3}) + \frac{\partial }{\partial t}(\delta \rho) + \nabla \cdot (\rho_0a^{-3}\frac{\dot{a}}{a}\vec{r} + \rho_0a^{-3}\delta \vec{v}+ \delta \rho\frac{\dot{a}}{a}\vec{r})=0$$

since ##\rho = \rho_0a^{-3}##

$$\frac{\partial }{\partial t}(\rho_0a^{-3})+\frac{\partial }{\partial t}(\delta \rho) + \nabla \cdot (\rho\frac{\dot{a}}{a}\vec{r} + \rho\delta \vec{v}+ \delta \rho\frac{\dot{a}}{a}\vec{r})=0$$

$$\frac{\partial }{\partial t}(\rho_0a^{-3})+\frac{\partial }{\partial t}(\delta \rho) + \rho\frac{\dot{a}}{a} (\nabla \cdot \vec{r}) + \rho(\nabla \cdot \delta \vec{v})+ \delta \rho\frac{\dot{a}}{a} (\nabla \cdot \vec{r})=0$$The answer is

$$\frac{\partial }{\partial t}(\delta \rho) + 3\delta \rho\frac{\dot{a}}{a}+ \rho(\nabla \cdot \delta \vec{v})+ \delta \rho\frac{\dot{a}}{a} (\vec{r} \cdot \nabla )=0$$

Also ##(\nabla \cdot \vec{r}) = 3 ?##

For reference : https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471489093/?tag=pfamazon01-20 Page 216

1581229918154.png
1581229960417.png

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It is great to see that you are trying to understand the equations for a dust-filled expanding universe. I will try to guide you through the derivation process and provide some clarification on the steps you have taken so far.

Firstly, let's define our variables. We have the density of the dust, ##\rho##, which is a function of time, ##t##, and the position vector, ##\vec{r}##. We also have the velocity of the dust, ##\vec{v}##, which is also a function of time and position. Finally, we have the scale factor of the universe, ##a##, which is only a function of time.

Now, the continuity equation you have written is correct, and it describes the conservation of mass for a fluid. However, in this case, we are dealing with a dust-filled universe, which has zero pressure. This means that the dust particles do not interact with each other, and their motion is solely determined by the expansion of the universe. This leads to a simplified continuity equation:

$$\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + 3\frac{\dot{a}}{a}\rho=0$$

where ##\dot{a}## is the time derivative of the scale factor. This equation is derived by substituting your expressions for ##\rho## and ##\vec{v}## into the original continuity equation and simplifying.

Now, let's move on to the perturbation part. You are correct in assuming that we can write the density and velocity as the sum of their background values and a perturbation term. However, there is a small mistake in your expressions. The perturbation terms should be written as:

$$\delta\rho=\rho-\rho_0a^{-3}$$

$$\delta\vec{v}=\vec{v}-\frac{\dot{a}}{a}\vec{r}$$

This ensures that the perturbation terms are zero when the background values are used.

Substituting these expressions into the continuity equation, we get:

$$\frac{\partial }{\partial t}(\delta \rho) + \nabla \cdot (\delta \rho \vec{v} + \rho_0a^{-3}\delta \vec{v}) + \frac{\partial }{\partial t}(\rho_0

1. What is Jeans instability in an expanding universe?

Jeans instability refers to the gravitational collapse of a cloud of gas or dust in an expanding universe. This phenomenon occurs when the gravitational force within the cloud overcomes the outward pressure caused by the expansion of the universe, leading to the formation of dense structures such as stars or galaxies.

2. How does the expansion of the universe affect Jeans instability?

The expansion of the universe can either enhance or suppress Jeans instability, depending on the initial conditions of the gas cloud. If the cloud is small and has a high density, the expansion will have little effect and the instability will proceed as usual. However, if the cloud is large and has a low density, the expansion can prevent the cloud from collapsing and thus suppress the instability.

3. What role does dark matter play in Jeans instability?

Dark matter, which is a type of matter that does not interact with light and is only detected through its gravitational effects, can significantly impact Jeans instability in an expanding universe. Its presence can increase the strength of the gravitational force within the gas cloud, making it more likely for the cloud to collapse and form structures like stars and galaxies.

4. Can Jeans instability explain the formation of large-scale structures in the universe?

Yes, Jeans instability is one of the key processes that can explain the formation of large-scale structures in the universe, such as galaxies and galaxy clusters. The initial fluctuations in the density of matter in the early universe, combined with the expansion of the universe, led to the collapse of these structures through Jeans instability.

5. Are there any observations or evidence for Jeans instability in an expanding universe?

Yes, there is strong evidence for Jeans instability in an expanding universe. Observations of the distribution of galaxies and the cosmic microwave background have shown that matter in the universe is not uniformly distributed, but instead forms large-scale structures that are consistent with the predictions of Jeans instability. Additionally, simulations of the early universe have also demonstrated the role of this process in the formation of these structures.