How to use extra information in physics exams

In summary: This Tuesday will have my second exam which I am completely unprepared for despite going to office hours, tutoring, and doing plenty of practice problems on khan academy that I keep getting incorrect. I can draw FBDs easily and can almost always smoothly list out the given and unknown variables for any problem, but solving for the actual question seems to trouble me as I never seem to use the correct equation....In summary, the student is having difficulty solving problems in a physics class. He has difficulty using the correct equation and has been getting incorrect answers on practice problems. He is seeking help from books, tutoring, and office hours, but still struggles. He is having difficulty grasping concepts, and is seeking help to improve
ImTrashAtPhysics
Hi all,

I don’t know if posts like this are allowed and if not mods please remove but I am currently enrolled in Gen Physics 1 w/Calc(I don't know why I challenged myself with this class when normal Physics 1 would’ve worked for me as a biochem major) and am struggling to do understand the concepts.

I received a 49% on my first exam that covered 1D/2D Kinematics and introductory Newton’s laws questions and this Tuesday will have my second exam which I am completely unprepared for despite going to office hours, tutoring, and doing plenty of practice problems on khan academy that I keep getting incorrect. I can draw FBDs easily and can almost always smoothly list out the given and unknown variables for any problem, but solving for the actual question seems to trouble me as I never seem to use the correct equation.

At this point in the semester I simply want to pass the class. The professor is kind enough to allow a one sided 8.5x11 cheat sheet as well as a formula sheet on the exam.

So my questions are:

-How do I make use of this cheat sheet in the best way?

-What learning sources would you recommend that concisely cover material?

Physics news on Phys.org
You really have not give us any indication of the issue here. All you have given is a vague description that you can't seem to use the "correct equation". That's like a patient seeing a doctor saying that he/she doesn't feel well.

What really needs to happen is a detailed analysis of your problem-solving technique. What you should do is attempt to solve a problem, and then, show us (in the HW forum), what you actually did. If you're stuck, show us exactly where you got stuck.

Otherwise, there is no way to diagnose the source of the problem. We have no idea if you actually understood the concept, or if you have the mathematics to solve it. You'd be surprised how many students think that Physics is difficult, when they actually have problems with the mathematics.

Until you figure that out, it is pointless to recommend other learning sources or material.

Zz.

ImTrashAtPhysics said:
this Tuesday will have my second exam which I am completely unprepared for despite going to office hours, tutoring, and doing plenty of practice problems on khan academy that I keep getting incorrect.
Doing "plenty of practice problems" but getting the wrong answers doesn't do you any good.

ZapperZ said:
We have no idea if you actually understood the concept, or if you have the mathematics to solve it. You'd be surprised how many students think that Physics is difficult, when they actually have problems with the mathematics.
Without more details, I would think that either or both of the things ZapperZ listed could be reasons why you're doing so poorly.

Having a sheet of formulas isn't much help if you aren't able to manipulate the equations using algebraic techniques.

Likes symbolipoint
Mark44 said:
Doing "plenty of practice problems" but getting the wrong answers doesn't do you any good.

Practice doesn't make perfect. Practice makes permanent.

I remember struggling in a similar course. We were also given a formula sheet during test times.

ImTrashAtPhysics said:
Hi all,

I received a 49% on my first exam that covered 1D/2D Kinematics and introductory Newton’s laws questions and this Tuesday will have my second exam which I am completely unprepared for despite going to office hours, tutoring, and doing plenty of practice problems on khan academy that I keep getting incorrect. I can draw FBDs easily and can almost always smoothly list out the given and unknown variables for any problem, but solving for the actual question seems to trouble me as I never seem to use the correct equation.

... The professor is kind enough to allow a one sided 8.5x11 cheat sheet as well as a formula sheet on the exam.

So my questions are:

-How do I make use of this cheat sheet in the best way?

-What learning sources would you recommend that concisely cover material?
Understand the concepts and the meanings of the formulas.
Be able to recognize each formula, if not have it already memorized.
Pick the necessary formulas for any exercise or test item you are solving.

Find other similar textbooks in your school library or any other book sources. Look into sales of used books, especially places local to you. You might want to buy one or two of them if they have exercise problems and if you like the way the textbook topics are arranged and discussed.

If you still find much trouble in adapting then only you and your professor can figure what is really happening in you. If you really are unaccustomed to analyzing and applying Mathematics to solving problems, then practice will help. If you are really deficient in Mathematics, then you are the only person who can determine this and you are the only person who can fix this. You may need to thoroughly review everything in which you are weak; and not just narrow topics, but maybe entire courses.

Perhaps you can show us a sample problem with your attempt to solve it and where you got stuck.

Likes symbolipoint

1. How can I use extra information in a physics exam to my advantage?

Extra information in a physics exam can be used in several ways. First, make sure to read all of the information provided carefully and understand its relevance to the question. Then, use this information to help you solve the problem, such as by setting up additional equations or using it to eliminate variables. Finally, make sure to check your final answer against the given information to ensure its accuracy.

2. How do I determine which extra information is important in a physics exam?

Not all extra information provided in a physics exam is necessary to solve the problem. To determine which information is important, read the question carefully and identify what is being asked. Then, look for information that is directly related to the question or helps to set up the problem. This will help you identify which information is important and should be used in your solution.

3. Can I use extra information from previous questions in a physics exam?

It is generally not advisable to use extra information from previous questions in a physics exam. Each question is designed to be solved independently and using information from a previous question may lead to errors or confusion. Instead, focus on using the information provided in the current question to solve it accurately.

4. How can I effectively manage my time when using extra information in a physics exam?

Using extra information in a physics exam can be time-consuming, so it is important to manage your time effectively. Start by reading the entire exam to get an idea of the types of questions and the amount of extra information provided. Then, allocate your time accordingly, spending more time on questions with a significant amount of extra information. Also, make sure to skip questions that you are having difficulty with and come back to them later if time allows.

5. Are there any strategies for using extra information in a physics exam?

One strategy for using extra information in a physics exam is to create a table or diagram to organize the given information and its relevance to the question. This can also help you identify any missing information that may be needed to solve the problem. Additionally, make sure to check your final answer against the given information to ensure its accuracy before moving on to the next question.