How to use TSRES command in Ansys APDL

In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding transient heat transfer analysis and how to control the time step size for the analysis. The individual is using Ansys APDL and has created a heat pulse and an array of time values. However, they encounter an error and are trying to find a solution to have a fine time step in the beginning of the analysis and a coarser time step for the rest of it. The suggested solutions are to use the TSCALE command to set different time scales for different parts of the analysis and the DT command to specify a time step size for a specific load step.
MtzMechEngr
Hello,
I have a transient heat transfer analysis question where I heat a plate for a short duration and then evaluate thermal response.
The duration of heat pulse occurs for .1 seconds at time t = 1 second and thermal response time I would like to evaluate is 1 minute.
I use an Ansys APDL table to create heat pulse as shown below:
t = 0; HF = 0;
t = .99; HF = 0;
t = 1.0; HF = 10000;
t = 1.1; HF = 10000;
t = 1.11; HF = 10000;
t = 60; HF = 0;

I also create a TSRES_ARRY which is an ANSYS APDL array that lists exact time values where I want Ansys APDL solver to use during transient time run.
t = .99;
t = 1.0;
t = 1.1;
t = 1.11;

I then apply heat flux to face of plate and issue following command which forces transient solve to include times listed in TSRES_ARRY.
TSRES,%TSRES_ARRY%

However, when I run the solver, I receive following error:
Increments between time points set by array TSRES_ARRY for TSRES must be larger than the initial time step set by DELTIM or NSUBST

I find that this error may be resolved by decreasing time step and max time step to 0.1 seconds. However, this makes the solver take a really long time as the time at end of load step is 1 minute and I am using .1 second increments to reach this time!

How can I force Ansys APDL to have a fine time step in beginning of transient analysis (first two seconds) and then use a more course time step for rest of analysis (from 2 to 60 seconds)?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are trying to control the time step size for your transient analysis in a specific way. One approach you can try is to use the command TSCALE to set a time scaling factor for your analysis. This will allow you to specify different time scales for different parts of your analysis.

For example, you could set a time scale of 0.01 for the first 2 seconds and then switch to a time scale of 0.1 for the rest of the analysis. This way, the solver will use a finer time step for the first 2 seconds and then switch to a coarser time step for the remaining 58 seconds.

You can also try using the command DT, which allows you to specify a time step size for a specific load step. This way, you can set a smaller time step for the first load step and then increase it for the subsequent ones.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck with your analysis!

1. What is the TSRES command used for in Ansys APDL?

The TSRES command is used to specify the time step restrictions for a transient analysis in Ansys APDL. It allows the user to define the maximum time step size, minimum time step size, and the maximum number of substeps allowed for the analysis.

2. How do I use the TSRES command in Ansys APDL?

To use the TSRES command, first define the analysis type as transient using the TRNOPT command. Then, specify the desired time step restrictions using the TSRES command. Finally, use the SOLVE command to initiate the analysis with the specified time step restrictions.

3. Can I use the TSRES command for all types of transient analyses in Ansys APDL?

Yes, the TSRES command can be used for all types of transient analyses in Ansys APDL, including structural, thermal, and electromagnetics.

4. What are the default values for the time step restrictions in Ansys APDL?

The default values for the time step restrictions in Ansys APDL are 1 for maximum time step size, 1e-6 for minimum time step size, and 10 for maximum number of substeps.

5. How do I know if the TSRES command is affecting my analysis in Ansys APDL?

You can use the OUTRES command to output the time step size, maximum number of substeps, and other relevant information for each solution step. You can then compare this information to the values specified in the TSRES command to determine if it is affecting your analysis.