How to write this state vector in coordinate basis?

In summary, the problem involves finding the angular distribution of two particles resulting from a decaying lambda particle. The initial state has a spin of j=3/2 and the final state can be written using alpha and beta values. The solution involves calculating <r|psi> using spherical harmonics.
Adoniram

Homework Statement

I am given this state, which is the result of a lamba particle decaying into a proton and neutral pion. Initial j = 3/2. The final state can theoretically be written as:

state.jpg

I have already determined that:
alpha_p = Sqrt[2/3]
beta_p = Sqrt[1/3]
alpha_d = -/+ Sqrt[2/5]
beta_d = +/- Sqrt[3/5]

(hopefully that's correct)

Express the above state vector in the coordinate basis and show that the angular distribution of
the two final state particles is given by,
ans.jpg

Homework Equations

I know that the coordinate basis function will be psi(r) = <r|psi>

The Attempt at a Solution

I just have no idea how to calculate <r|psi> on a state vector that only has angular momentum eigenvalues shown (with some coefficients).

If someone can point me in the right direction, I would really, really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: spherical harmonics.

Related to How to write this state vector in coordinate basis?

1. What is a state vector?

A state vector is a mathematical representation of a physical system that describes the state of the system at a specific time. It contains information about the position, momentum, and other properties of the system.

2. What is a coordinate basis?

A coordinate basis is a set of basis vectors that are used to represent a vector in a specific coordinate system. It is typically defined by the coordinate axes of the system.

3. How do I write a state vector in coordinate basis?

To write a state vector in coordinate basis, you will need to first determine the basis vectors for the specific coordinate system you are using. Then, you can express the state vector as a linear combination of these basis vectors, with the coefficients representing the coordinates of the vector in that basis.

4. What is the difference between Cartesian and polar coordinate basis?

Cartesian coordinate basis uses three orthogonal unit vectors (x, y, z) to represent a vector, while polar coordinate basis uses two unit vectors (r, θ) that are perpendicular to each other. Cartesian coordinates are useful for describing motion in a straight line, while polar coordinates are useful for circular or rotational motion.

5. How do I convert a state vector from one coordinate basis to another?

To convert a state vector from one coordinate basis to another, you can use a transformation matrix. This matrix contains the basis vectors of the new coordinate system expressed in terms of the old coordinate system. By multiplying the state vector by this matrix, you can obtain the coordinates of the vector in the new basis.