Finding state vectors for pure states

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a given matrix is a state operator and if it is a pure state, how to find the state vectors for the pure state. The matrix is a 2x2 matrix in MATLAB code [9/25 12/25; 12/25 16/25] and it is determined that it is a state operator with eigenvalues of 1 and 0. The condition for a pure state is also discussed and it is found that the given matrix is a pure state with the state vector (3/5 4/5). The conversation also mentions the use of projection operators and how they relate to density operators and sharp states.
Pouyan

Homework Statement

Is the following matrix a state operator ? and if it is a state operator is it a pure state ? and if it is so then find the state vectors for the pure state.

25%20%5Cend%7Bbmatrix%7D.gif

If you don't see image here is the matrix which is 2X2 in MATLAB code:
[9/25 12/25; 12/25 16/25]

Homework Equations

To be a state operator, if we have a operator ρ we know :

Tr(ρ)=1
ρ=ρt (self-adjoint)
<u|ρ|u> >= 0 for all vectors |u>
and these means :
the sum of eigenvalues must be 1 and eigenvalues must be greater or equal to zero

For pure state what do I know are these:
ρ=|ψ><ψ| where |ψ> is the unit-normed vector called state vector.
The average value of an observable R in this pure state is:
<R> = Tr(|ψ><ψ|R) = <ψ|R|ψ>
The other condition is :
ρ2=ρ (which is possible for 1 or 0 but the sum of eigenvalues must be 1)
The third condition is :
Tr(ρ2)=1

The Attempt at a Solution

This matrix has eigenvalues 1 and 0. And this means it is a state operator. In my solution I do see that this matrix is a pure state and it has the vector state : (3/5 4/5). But I don't know how I can use conditions for pure state to see that if a matrix or an operator is a pure state and I can not either get the state vectors.

What do I know is that :
WWith eigenvalue 1 we get vector (-(4/3) 1). I do see that (3/5 4/5) is the norm of the diagonal of the matrix, [9/25 12/25; 12/25 16/25], that is in the first place in the matrix we have 9/25 and √(9/25)= 3/5.
In the last place of this matrix we have 16/25 and √(16/25) = 4/5
ofcourse 16/25 + 9/25 =1
But is that correct to think so ?

Attachments

• 25%20%5Cend%7Bbmatrix%7D.gif
    25%20%5Cend%7Bbmatrix%7D.gif
    954 bytes · Views: 593
Physics news on Phys.org
Right. A projection operator (onto a subspace) when divided by the dimension of the subspace becomes a valid density operator (sometimes referred to as a "crisp" state). So it will have eigen-values of 0 for vectors of the null space and 1/n for vectors in the subspace of dimension n. If the projection operator is already a density operator, and thus has both eigenvaue 1 and trace 1, it must project onto a 1 dimensional subspace and thus represent a sharp state.

It is ##\lvert \psi \rangle \langle \psi\rvert## for the eigen-vector ##\lvert \psi \rangle##.

What is a state vector for a pure state?

A state vector for a pure state is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that contains all the information about the state of the system. It is typically denoted by the symbol |ψ⟩ and can be used to calculate the probabilities of the system being in different states.

How do you find the state vector for a pure state?

To find the state vector for a pure state, you first need to determine the quantum state of the system. This can be done through measurements or by using theoretical models. Once the quantum state is known, the state vector can be calculated using mathematical equations, such as the Schrödinger equation.

Can there be multiple state vectors for a pure state?

No, there can only be one state vector for a pure state. This is because a pure state represents a specific quantum state of a system, and the state vector is a unique mathematical representation of that state. However, there can be multiple ways to write the same state vector, known as different basis vectors.

What is the significance of finding state vectors for pure states?

Finding state vectors for pure states is crucial in quantum mechanics as it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems. The state vector contains all the information about the system, including its energy, momentum, and other properties. It also allows us to calculate the probabilities of the system transitioning to different states.

How does finding state vectors for pure states relate to quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other(s). By finding state vectors for pure states, we can understand and describe the entangled states of particles, which is essential in technologies such as quantum computing and quantum communication.