How transistors amplify AC signals

In summary, transistors can amplify full AC signals by conducting only when the base emitter junction is forward biased, and by applying a high enough threshold voltage. When the polarity of the AC signal is reversed, transistors will be reverse biased and unable to amplify the signal.
Genji Shimada
AC-Wave.png

How are transistors able to amplify full AC signals? What I mean is that a transistor will conduct only if the base emitter junction is forward biased and when you apply high enough treshold voltage to turn it on. Like 0,6v. Then looking at the graph above, from 0 to 120 and from 120 to 0v the signal will be amplified perfectly. But what about when the polarity is reversed? How can transistors amplify that since they will be reverse biased?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suppose you could always rectify the signal so the transistor always sees the correct polarity.

At first, I assume you mean 120mV rather than 120V, OK? (Or do you intend to amplify a 120V sinus?).
My recommendation: Try to become familiar with the terms "BJT biasing", "DC operational point", "quiescent current", "coupling capacitors".
If you know and understand the meaning of these terms you will see how ac signals are amplified.

I think I get it. We first bias the transistor to set the Q point somewhere half Vcc and then we apply the AC signal. The confusion came from the assumption that the only voltage we apply to the base is the AC one while now as I recall upon old knowledges, we never just leave the base waiting for the AC signal, we use DC voltage to set the Q point through the base current so that Vc is half Vcc. But you will say here "Haven't you heard of Common emitter amplifier?" Well, I came here from differential amplifiers where basicaly no base bias is shown.
And no, don't take the graph litteraly, I used it just as an example of AC sinusoidal wave.

Yes - basically correct. All DC levels are to be decoupled from the ac signals (input and output) using suitable coupling capacitors.
Regarding the diff. amplifier:
Because this type usually must be able to amplify also DC signals, the base DCpotential is kept at 0V (no capacitive coupling required) - however, the emitter is biased by a suitable negative DC voltage of app. -0.7V. Hence, again we have app. Vbe=0.7V.

Likes Genji Shimada
Thanks

1. What is a transistor and how does it work?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that can amplify and switch electronic signals. It consists of three layers of material, typically made of silicon, with two layers doped to create a P-N junction. When a small current is applied to the middle layer, it can control a larger current flowing through the other two layers, thus acting as an amplifier.

2. How does a transistor amplify AC signals?

Transistors amplify AC signals through a process called "transistor action". When an AC signal is applied to the base of a transistor, it causes the transistor to switch on and off rapidly, thus allowing a larger AC signal to pass through the collector and emitter. This amplification process is achieved through the transistor's ability to control a larger current with a smaller one.

3. What is the difference between a bipolar junction transistor (BJT) and a metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET)?

The main difference between a BJT and a MOSFET is their construction and mode of operation. BJTs are made of layers of doped semiconductors and rely on current flow for amplification, while MOSFETs are made of a single layer of semiconductor and use voltage for amplification. MOSFETs also have a higher input impedance and can handle higher power levels than BJTs.

4. What is the role of biasing in transistor amplification?

Biasing is the process of supplying DC voltage to a transistor's base terminal to establish a suitable operating point. Proper biasing is necessary for a transistor to amplify AC signals effectively. It ensures that the transistor remains in its active region, where it can provide maximum amplification without distortion.

5. What are some common applications of transistor amplification in everyday devices?

Transistor amplification is used in a wide range of electronic devices, including radios, televisions, computers, and smartphones. It is also essential in power amplifiers for audio systems, signal processing circuits in communication systems, and control circuits in motor control applications.