How was the damping scale of the CMB calculated?

• I
  • Thread starter Quarkly
  • Start date
In summary, the author of these lecture notes calculates the damping scale for the CMB using the following steps: - limiting forms - limiting cases - finally arriving at the damping scale. He discarded the limit as ##{R \to 0}## because the function ##f(\eta)## becomes undefined as ##\eta## approaches 0. He was able to extract everything but ##\frac{1}{\dot\tau}## from the integral because ##R## and ##\dot\tau## are functions of ##\eta##.
Quarkly
TL;DR Summary
I ran across this equation in some lecture notes and I'm not able to follow the derivation.
I'm reading through the lecture notes of Wayne Hu regarding the Damping Scale of the CMB. He give the following steps to calculating the damping scale, ##k_D##:$$k_D^{-2}=\int \frac{1}{6(1+R)}\left( \frac {16}{15}+ \frac{R^2}{(1+R)}\right)\frac{1}{\dot\tau} d\eta$$Limiting forms:$$\lim\limits_{R \to 0}k_D^{-2}= \frac{1}{6}\frac{16}{15}\int \frac{1}{\dot\tau} d\eta$$
$$\lim\limits_{R \to \infty}k_D^{-2}= \frac{1}{6}\int \frac{1}{\dot\tau} d\eta$$and finally$$k_D=\frac{\sqrt{6}}{\sqrt{\eta \dot\tau^{-1}}}$$I see roughly what he's doing, but my math is rusty. Could anyone explain in greater detail how he arrived at ##k_D##? For example, why did he discard the limit as ##{R \to 0}##? Why is only ##{R \to \infty}## used in the final formula? Why was he able to extract everything but ##\frac{1}{\dot\tau}## from the integral (since R is also a function of ##\eta##)?

While function ##f(\eta)=\frac{1}{6(1+R(\eta))}\left( \frac {16}{15}+ \frac{R(\eta)^2}{(1+R(\eta))}\right)## is relatively constant, it does change with ##\eta## and looks like this:
Graph1.png

and the function ##g(\eta)=\frac{1}{\dot\tau(\eta)}## looks like this:
Graph2.png

The bottom axis is ##\eta##.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.
I would like to know more information to elaborate. Integral in your post means integral over the region [-infinity, +infinity] or any other ?

mitochan said:
Hello.
I would like to know more information to elaborate. Integral in your post means integral over the region [-infinity, +infinity] or any other ?
There are several sources for this equation. Some write it as an indefinite integral, others write it as $$k_D^{-2}(\eta)=\int_0^{\eta} \frac{1}{6(1+R)}\left( \frac {16}{15}+ \frac{R^2}{(1+R)}\right)\frac{1}{\dot\tau} d\eta$$I believe this is the more rigorous form. Both R and ##\dot\tau## are functions of ##\eta##. I believe the author of these notes may have been trying to solve the integral in parts as ##R[0]## and ##\dot\tau[0]## are undefined.

Thanks for your explanation.

I would like to confirm my understanding on your graphs.

--As R is relative baryon-photon momentum ratio,
f(0)=1/6 * 16/15 where R=0 no baryon existed and f(+infinity)= 1/6 where R=+infinity all photon momentum will be reduced to zero by expansion of universe.
Your first graph read f(0)=1.066 and f(+infinity)=1 so it seems graph of 6f with coefficient 6 multiplied.

-- Is unit of base ##\eta## axis second? If so around 5 E+17 points on the graph is where we are.

mitochan said:
--As R is relative baryon-photon momentum ratio,
f(0)=1/6 * 16/15 where R=0 no baryon existed and f(+infinity)= 1/6 where R=+infinity all photon momentum will be reduced to zero by expansion of universe.
Your first graph read f(0)=1.066 and f(+infinity)=1 so it seems graph of 6f with coefficient 6 multiplied.

-- Is unit of base ##\eta## axis second? If so around 5 E+17 points on the graph is where we are.
Many apologies. You are correct. The graph for ##f(\eta)=\frac{1}{6(1+R(\eta))}\left( \frac {16}{15}+ \frac{R(\eta)^2}{(1+R(\eta))}\right)## looks like this (I forgot the factor of 1/6 in the original plot):
Graph1.png

Not sure what you're asking in the second question. The bottom axis is conformal time and the units are seconds. And, yes, ##3.5 \times 10^{18} s## is ##\eta_0##, the present time (according to the model).

Also, the form is correct, but the units were wrong on the optical depth plot. Here are the correct units in km. (though, this should be immaterial for the answer).

Graph2.png

Last edited:
Thanks for your clarification.

With assumption and observation that

--The author refers value of ##\eta## around ##\eta_0##, the age of universe for us,
13.8 billion year = 4.35 E+17 second,

--The second graph curve in the region ##\eta [0,\eta_0]## read g(##\eta##) be small positive constant (not zero, I expect) , and

--due to decline in the first graph curve in the region ##[0,\eta_0]## integral coefficient seems a little bit less (or more?) than 1/6 but the difference is negligible in our approximation,

I think the integral would become 1/6 ##g(\eta)\eta##. I do not think this relation hold for any value of ##\eta##, much more than ##\eta_0##, for an example.

Your answer is little more than an opinion. I was looking for a derivation likely involving integration by parts, but something that took me step-by-step from the first equation to the authors analytical solution (or a disproof, if the author was wrong).

Related to How was the damping scale of the CMB calculated?

1. How do you solve an equation?

To solve an equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equal sign. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to cancel out any numbers or variables on the same side as the variable you are solving for. Once the variable is isolated, you can solve for its value.

2. What are the steps to solving an equation?

The steps to solving an equation are as follows:

1. Identify the variable you are solving for.
  2. Use inverse operations to isolate the variable on one side of the equal sign.
  3. Simplify both sides of the equation, if necessary.
  4. Check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

3. What is the order of operations when solving an equation?

The order of operations when solving an equation is the same as the order of operations in math, which is PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction). This means that you should always solve operations within parentheses first, then exponents, followed by multiplication and division, and finally addition and subtraction.

4. Can an equation have more than one solution?

Yes, an equation can have more than one solution. This means that there can be multiple values for the variable that satisfy the equation. For example, the equation x + 5 = 10 has the solutions x = 5 and x = 10.

5. What do you do if an equation has no solution?

If an equation has no solution, it means that there is no value for the variable that satisfies the equation. This can happen when the equation leads to a contradiction, such as 2x = 4 and x = 3. In this case, there is no value for x that makes the equation true, so there is no solution.