How we can explain our process of thinking by physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of explaining the process of thinking through physics. While physics can provide tools to understand the electro-chemical processes of thinking, it may not fully capture the complexity and emergence of thought. The speaker personally believes that mathematics can explain the riddle of existence, but it cannot be simplified into a few paragraphs or a book. Instead, understanding comes with time and the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
dip das
How can we explain our process of thinking by physics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

This is a complex question. We know the brain is composed of interconnecting neurons and that electrical impulses flow from neuron to neuron but don’t yet fully understand how thought emerges from that process.

Have you searched for answers using Google?

Likes BillTre, symbolipoint and dip das
Physics provides us with the tools to understand the electro-chemical processes that occur when we think. They may also provide us with tools to develop insights into the thought process. But like many complex systems the whole is often greater than the sum of its parts and it is that extra something that I think is beyond the realm of physics e.g. consciousness,. we cannot even agree on a definition.

Likes DrTherapist
dip das said:
How can we explain our process of thinking by physics?

A long time ago I use to look outside my window and wonder why about a lot of things. But about 25 years ago I started studying non-linear differential equations. I no longer wonder why about a lot of things.

For me, the riddle of existence is explained by mathematics. But it is not a simple one I can write down in a few short paragraphs or even a book. I would fail at that endeavor. Rather, knowing slowly emerges with time; the whole greater than the sum of it's parts.

1. How does physics play a role in our thought process?

Physics plays a crucial role in our thought process as it helps us understand how the brain works. Our brain is made up of neurons, which are essentially tiny electrical circuits that transmit information. These electrical signals follow the laws of physics, specifically the principles of electricity and magnetism, to carry out our thought process and control our actions.

2. Can we explain our emotions and decision making using physics?

Yes, our emotions and decision making can also be explained by the laws of physics. Our emotions are a result of chemical reactions and electrical signals in the brain, which can be understood through the principles of chemistry and electricity. Similarly, our decision making involves the processing of information through electrical signals in the brain, which can be explained by the laws of physics.

3. How can the concept of energy be applied to our thinking process?

The concept of energy can be applied to our thinking process as our brain requires a constant supply of energy to function. The brain uses about 20% of the body's energy, and this energy is used to power the electrical signals and chemical reactions that occur during our thought process. Understanding the concept of energy helps us understand the efficiency and limitations of our thinking process.

4. Can physics help us understand the connection between the mind and the body?

Yes, physics can help us understand the connection between the mind and body. Our thoughts and actions are a result of the complex interactions between the brain and the body. By understanding the principles of physics, we can gain insight into how these interactions occur and how they affect our overall well-being.

5. How can studying physics improve our thinking process?

Studying physics can improve our thinking process by helping us understand the fundamental principles that govern the universe. By understanding these principles, we can develop critical thinking skills and learn to approach problems in a logical and systematic manner. Additionally, studying physics can also enhance our problem-solving abilities and improve our overall understanding of the world around us.