How will the advent of quantum computing impact the field?

In summary: However, if quantum computers can be made much smaller and more powerful, they could be used for things like simulation of molecules and even cracking codes. It is hard to predict the future, but I think it has a lot of potential.
jonatron5
As a senior in college studying IT , I am just learning the barebones principles about database construction, Object oreinted programming, with the intent of preperation for entering the job market. But I have always had a passion for Computers and technology in general. I understand that severeal major companys have highly experimental functioning quantum computers right now. As this is such a radically new concept and one that's yet to really been established I have received zero training in it at school. Wich I suppose is natrual, but also somewhat worrying if it is truly to "start a computing revolution" like its proponents claim.

Due to the nature of the machines it seems like If they continue to improve them, it will be similar to the huge mainframe computers of the 1960s, basically opperating in very specific tasks in very carefully controlled laboratory like enviorments. Then again, its very hard if not impossible to determine the future of any invention, I don't see miniturization of these things any time in the next 30 years happening. I realistically expect that maby by the time I am preparing to enter retirement (21 years old now) that maby some firms will have them in data centers comercially availible to rent time on them to perform these extreme calculations like simulating molecules and such.

maby I am being too stingy with how fast it will progress though , becuase in my short time building computers I have seen obscene advancements. I remeber when I built my first comouter out of high school , where 1 gb of video ram would be exxesive. where as today their are in home VR applications mandating 5+ gigs of vram.

what are your guyses thoughts?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It is dangerous to make predictions for new technologies, but I think some things are a safe bet.
Quantum computers have tremendous potential for certain types of applications. It's main advantage will be in finding the best (only?) solution to problems with a huge number of combinations of possible solutions. In that, it will surpass any traditional computer. You will probably see that in your career.

Currently, even the simplest things are very difficult. Simple floating point calculations are difficult and how to program anything in it is another huge problem. Also, a lot of computer applications are I/O or memory limited. It doesn't have any advantage in those applications.

1. What is quantum computing?

Quantum computing is a type of computing technology that uses the principles of quantum mechanics to process and store data. Unlike classical computing which uses bits (0s and 1s), quantum computing uses quantum bits or qubits which can exist in multiple states at the same time, allowing for more complex calculations and faster processing speeds.

2. How will quantum computing impact the field of science?

The impact of quantum computing on the field of science is expected to be significant. It has the potential to revolutionize fields such as medicine, chemistry, and materials science by enabling faster and more accurate simulations and predictions. It may also lead to breakthroughs in areas such as cryptography, machine learning, and artificial intelligence.

3. What are the advantages of quantum computing over classical computing?

Quantum computing has several advantages over classical computing. It can process and store a vast amount of data in parallel, making it much faster than classical computing. It also has the potential to solve complex problems that are practically impossible for classical computers. Additionally, quantum computers are highly efficient in terms of energy consumption, making them more environmentally friendly.

4. Are there any limitations to quantum computing?

Currently, one of the biggest limitations of quantum computing is the number of qubits that can be reliably controlled and measured. This is known as the quantum decoherence problem and it can lead to errors in calculations. Additionally, quantum computers are highly sensitive to external interference, making it challenging to maintain the stability of qubits. However, research and advancements in the field are continuously addressing these limitations.

5. When can we expect to see the practical applications of quantum computing?

While quantum computers are still in their early stages of development, we are starting to see some practical applications in fields such as chemistry, optimization, and cryptography. However, it may still be a few years before we see widespread adoption of quantum computing in various industries. The advancement of technology and further research in the field will play a crucial role in determining the timeline for practical applications of quantum computing.