How will the voltage, current and resistance be distributed

In summary, the voltage, current and resistance in the compound circuit diagram below is distributed, and an equation can be used to measure the total resistance of the circuit. Resistor bulb (R1) is parallel as well as series, so a calculation must be done to determine the total resistance of the circuit.
Buggsy GC
I have a lab to work through tomorrow morning and i need to be able to explain how the voltage, current and resistance in the compound circuit diagram below is distributed, and write an equation which can be used to measure the total resistance of the circuit. I know that when you normally try and calculate the compound resistance of a circuit you go Rtotal = Rseries + 1/Rparallel, but I don't know if Resistor bulb (R1) is parallel as well as series, and if it is, how do I calculate that.

Attachments

• IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 523
Engineering news on Phys.org
Buggsy GC said:
I have a lab to work through tomorrow morning and i need to be able to explain how the voltage, current and resistance in the compound circuit diagram below is distributed, and write an equation which can be used to measure the total resistance of the circuit. I know that when you normally try and calculate the compound resistance of a circuit you go Rtotal = Rseries + 1/Rparallel, but I don't know if Resistor bulb (R1) is parallel as well as series, and if it is, how do I calculate that.
Take it in steps.
Can you find two resistors that are definitely parallel with no complications (i.e. each joins to the other at each end)? If so, replace that pair with a single equivalent resistor using the usual parallel resistor rule.
If not, can you find two that are in series with no complications (i.e. one end of one joins to one end of the other, with nothing else joining at that point)? If so, replace the pair with single equivalent resistor.
Continue that process until only one resistor left.

So for example if all the resistors are 4 ohms, then R1 and R3 will be 2 ohms total and then I just add 4 ohms last as the total for the series ohms e.g. 6V Rtotal= Rs+1/Rp. 4+1/1/2 = total resistance of the circuit.

Buggsy GC said:
then R1 and R3 will be 2 ohms total
No, those two resistors do not satisfy the conditions I gave for two in parallel with no complications. They are joined directly at one end but not at the other.
Try some other pair.

haruspex said:
No, those two resistors do not satisfy the conditions I gave for two in parallel with no complications. They are joined directly at one end but not at the other.
Try some other pair.
we sorted it out in the lab, thank you very much for your insight

1. How does the voltage, current, and resistance interact with each other?

The relationship between voltage, current, and resistance is described by Ohm's Law. It states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them. In other words, as voltage increases, current increases, and as resistance increases, current decreases.

2. How is voltage, current, and resistance distributed in a circuit?

In a series circuit, voltage is distributed evenly across all components, while current remains the same throughout. In a parallel circuit, voltage and resistance are distributed evenly across all branches, while current is divided among the branches based on their resistance.

3. How does the distribution of voltage, current, and resistance affect the performance of a circuit?

The distribution of voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit affects the overall performance and functionality. Too much voltage can cause components to overheat and fail, while insufficient voltage can result in a circuit not working properly. Uneven distribution of current can also cause certain components to fail, and high resistance can lead to a decrease in circuit performance.

4. What factors influence the distribution of voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit?

The distribution of voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit is influenced by the type of components used, the arrangement of the circuit (series or parallel), and the properties of the materials used in the circuit. Temperature, humidity, and other external factors can also affect the distribution of these values.

5. How can the distribution of voltage, current, and resistance be measured and calculated?

Voltage, current, and resistance can be measured using specialized tools such as multimeters. The distribution of these values can be calculated using Ohm's Law, as well as other circuit analysis techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws and mesh analysis. These calculations can help determine the optimal values for components in a circuit to achieve desired performance.