How would you find force in this problem?

• Thread starter Merlan114
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the worker uses a ramp to load a refrigerator onto a truck, with the ramp being 5.0m long and raising the refrigerator 1.5m above the ground. The amount of work done by the worker is 1800J, and the magnitude of the force exerted by the worker is 3.6x10^2. The angle used in the calculation is zero since the displacement and force are parallel.
Merlan114
A worker uses a ramp to slide a refrigerator onto the back of the truck. The ramp is 5.0m long, and raises the refrigerator 1.5m above the ground. The amount of work done by the worker is 1800J. What is the magnitude of the force the worker must exert to load the refrigerator?

Ok so the first thing I did was calculate the angle by doing tangent^-1 (1.5/5.0) and got 17 degrees. Then I multiplied cos(17) and and 5.0 and divided it by 1800.
When I looked on the answer sheet it said the force was 3.6X10^2. I got 376.4. What did I do wrong?! I figured you calculate the angle since he is pushing the fridge at that degree up the ramp. Isn't the formula W=Fd(cosθ)? The answer sheet said I shouldn't have the degree, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
tangent is opposite over adjacent, not opposite over hypotenuse (that's sine)

the ramp is forming the hypotenuse of the right triangle

ok, but shouldn't it have some sort of angle since the worker is pushing it up. I used tangent to find the angle.

Merlan114 said:
Ok so the first thing I did was calculate the angle by doing tangent^-1 (1.5/5.0) and got 17 degrees. Then I multiplied cos(17) and and 5.0 and divided it by 1800.
When I looked on the answer sheet it said the force was 3.6X10^2. I got 376.4. What did I do wrong?! I figured you calculate the angle since he is pushing the fridge at that degree up the ramp. Isn't the formula W=Fd(cosθ)? The answer sheet said I shouldn't have the degree, why?

5cos(17) is the horizontal component of the displacement which is along the slope at angle 17° with respect to the horizontal. If you divide it by 1800 you can not get a 376.

The worker pushes the block along the slope. He needs the smallest force if the force is parallel with the slope. The displacement is 5 m along the slope. If the force and displacement are parallel, theta is zero.

ehild

So when do I know to use an angle?

Merlan114 said:
So when do I know to use an angle?

When you calculate work you need to use the angle between displacement and force. In this case, the angle is zero.

ehild

Related to How would you find force in this problem?

1. How do you determine the force in a problem?

The force in a problem can be determined by using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force (F) is equal to mass (m) multiplied by acceleration (a), or F = ma.

2. What units are used to measure force?

Force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) in the International System of Units (SI). Other common units of force include pounds (lb) and dynes (dyn).

3. What information do you need to calculate force in a problem?

In order to calculate force in a problem, you will need to know the mass of the object in question, the acceleration it is experiencing, and any other relevant forces acting upon it.

4. Can force be negative in a problem?

Yes, force can be negative in a problem. A negative force indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction as a positive force. For example, if an object is being pulled to the left with a force of -5 N, this means that there is a force of 5 N pulling the object to the right.

5. How can you find the net force in a problem?

The net force in a problem can be found by adding up all of the individual forces acting on an object. If the net force is equal to zero, then the object will be at rest or moving at a constant velocity. If the net force is greater than zero, then the object will be accelerating in the direction of the net force.