How would you go about studying physics outside of university?

In summary: This could be a good place to start if you are struggling. In summary, if you want to pursue physics, you will need to be prepared for a university level class, and you may need help from an academic advisor if you are currently attending university.
Jaccobtw
I think I want to pursue physics, but I can't seem to keep up with the pace of a university class. I also don't like the format. How would you go about doing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If my goal was to become a physicist then I would say that I am not good enough for the profession. As for not liking the format then that's my problem. Now If I could not live with that prospect I might look a little deeper into my problems to see why I cannot keep up. If it is because I was not as prepared as I should have been then remedying the deficiencies would be my goal and then give it a go. I would suck up the issue with the format for if that's what it takes then that is what I will do.

How bad do you want it?

Likes CalcNerd and berkeman
Jaccobtw said:
I think I want to pursue physics, but I can't seem to keep up with the pace of a university class.
What do you mean by "pursue phyiscs"? Do you want to eventually work in a physics-related professional job? Or are you just interested in the knowledge that studying physics brings?

If you want to work in the field, you will need some level of school degree in physics. You will not earn that by studying physics on your own. If your goal is to work in physics, I agree with @gleem that you should figure out what is blocking you from doing better at university, and work on fixing those issues.

If you are at university now, do they offer academic counseling? If so, that can be a very helpful way to get started in figuring out what to change/improve going forward. If you have an academic advisor, he/she can also be a helpful resource for this process.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes DaveE, Keith_McClary and Vanadium 50
Jaccobtw said:
I think I want to pursue physics, but I can't seem to keep up with the pace of a university class. I also don't like the format. How would you go about doing this?
?
Try studying at a community college? Decide if you like or do not like the "format" of Physics study. If you really do not like the format, then maybe you do not like the formal study of Physics. How would you prefer each course to be formatted?

1. How can I study physics outside of university?

There are several ways to study physics outside of university. You can enroll in online courses, attend workshops or seminars, read textbooks or scientific journals, join a local physics club or group, or conduct independent research projects.

2. Do I need a formal education in physics to study it outside of university?

No, you do not need a formal education in physics to study it outside of university. However, having a basic understanding of mathematics and science will be helpful in comprehending complex physics concepts.

3. What resources can I use to study physics outside of university?

There are many resources available for studying physics outside of university. These include textbooks, online courses, scientific journals, educational videos, and interactive simulations.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying physics outside of university?

Staying motivated can be challenging when studying physics outside of university. One way to stay motivated is to set achievable goals and track your progress. You can also find a study partner or join a study group to stay accountable and discuss difficult concepts.

5. Can I pursue a career in physics without a university degree?

While a university degree in physics is typically required for most careers in the field, there are some exceptions. For example, if you have extensive knowledge and experience in a specific area of physics, you may be able to find work as a consultant or researcher. However, a university degree will provide a more comprehensive understanding of physics and open up more career opportunities.