HSAB: Hard Soft Acid Base | Ferdinand's Curiousity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of HSAB for predicting the direction of a reaction. It is mentioned that H is a hard acid and F is a hard base, while Na is a hard acid and I is a soft base. The question is raised about where the reaction will go and why NaI is formed if hard acids prefer to bind with hard bases. The conversation also brings up the role of borderline substances and asks if the equilibrium constant has been calculated. It is concluded that the reaction will likely go to the left, but if HI is added to the NaF solution, the shift may be to the right. The calculation of DeltaGrxn and Keq is also mentioned.
fairburn96
Hi guys, my name is ferdinand. I'm curious about HSAB, especially to predict where the reaction goes.
Exp: HI + NaF >>> HF + NaI
H is hard acid
I IS soft base
Na is hard acid
F is hard base, and

HF Is hard.hard
NaI Is hard soft.
The reaction will goes to right or left? And why?
And since hard acid like to bind hard base, why NaI formed?
Thank you...
Terima kasih.And how about the borderline? Is it count as hard or soft?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Have you calculated the equilibrium constant? My quick look says the reaction goes to the left, as you suspect.

In water? Or a solid and a gas?

Borek said:
In water? Or a solid and a gas?
Good question. I assumed water. OP?

insightful said:
I assumed water.

Then it should go to the right, HF is a weak acid.

Borek said:
Then it should go to the right, HF is a weak acid.
I used DeltaGf of (all aqueous at 25C):
-129 kcal/gmol for NaF
-71 for NaI
-12 for HI
-66 for HF

and got DeltaGrxn = +4kcal/gmol and using DeltaG = -RTlnKeq, got Keq = 1.2E-3 indicating left side reactants at higher concentrations than right side products.

Last edited:
Well, it depends on what your starting material is. Yes, in general the equilibrium is to the left, but if you add HI to the NaF solution, fluoride gets protonated and the shift is to the right.

What is HSAB theory?

HSAB theory is a concept in chemistry that suggests molecules and ions can be classified as either "hard" or "soft" acids or bases. Hard acids and bases have strong, ionic bonds and are typically found on the left side of the periodic table, while soft acids and bases have weaker, covalent bonds and are usually found on the right side of the periodic table.

Who developed HSAB theory?

HSAB theory was first proposed by chemist Ralph Pearson in 1963 as a way to explain the stability of molecules and ions in terms of their electronic structure. His theory was later expanded upon by other scientists, including Ronald Gillespie and Ronald Nyholm.

What is the purpose of HSAB theory?

The purpose of HSAB theory is to help predict and explain the behavior of molecules and ions in chemical reactions. It is particularly useful for understanding acid-base reactions and the formation of coordination complexes in transition metal chemistry.

What are some examples of hard acids and bases?

Some examples of hard acids include cations like Li+, Mg2+, and Al3+, which have high charge density and tend to form strong ionic bonds. Hard bases include anions like F-, Cl-, and OH-, which have small size and high electronegativity, making them good at stabilizing positive charges. In terms of molecules, hard acids and bases tend to have small size, high charge, and low polarizability.

What are some examples of soft acids and bases?

Some examples of soft acids include cations like Pt2+, Hg2+, and Cu+, which have low charge density and tend to form weak covalent bonds. Soft bases include anions like I-, SCN-, and CN-, which have large size and low electronegativity, making them good at stabilizing negative charges. In terms of molecules, soft acids and bases tend to have large size, low charge, and high polarizability.