Huge difference between a 6 dobsonian and a 10 ?

In summary: Well, the 10" gathers almost three times more light, so you can see significantly dimmer objects.If you're in light polluted areas, you want to get as big of a light bucket as you can get.My next upgrade is probably going to be one of those easy to disassemble 16 inch dobsonians with a really nice eyepiece.But if you ever get a chance, go to some place like Flagstaff when the weather is clear and there's no moon. I had that opportunity and it was one of the best experiences I had. Even without the scope I could spot some pretty awesome things and the milky way... Holy ****... My eyes water every time I think about what the sky looked like that night
erok81
huge difference between a 6" dobsonian and a 10"?

Would one notice a huge difference between a 6" dobsonian and a 10"? I've used a 6" and liked it and have about 500 for a new 'scope. The 10" from Orion is about that much. But of course if there isn't a massive difference, I could get a smaller one with an optics kit. Or in the range of 500 is there something better than a dobsonian? I am fine without the tracking systems. I'd honestly almost rather a manual one. Which would be better - a 10" and the lens it comes with or a 6" with an optics kit?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

erok81 said:
Would one notice a huge difference between a 6" dobsonian and a 10"? I've used a 6" and liked it and have about 500 for a new 'scope. The 10" from Orion is about that much. But of course if there isn't a massive difference, I could get a smaller one with an optics kit. Or in the range of 500 is there something better than a dobsonian? I am fine without the tracking systems. I'd honestly almost rather a manual one. Which would be better - a 10" and the lens it comes with or a 6" with an optics kit?

Well, the 10" gathers almost three times more light, so you can see significantly dimmer objects.

If you're in light polluted areas, you want to get as big of a light bucket as you can get.

My next upgrade is probably going to be one of those easy to disassemble 16 inch dobsonians with a really nice eyepiece.

But if you ever get a chance, go to some place like Flagstaff when the weather is clear and there's no moon. I had that opportunity and it was one of the best experiences I had. Even without the scope I could spot some pretty awesome things and the milky way... Holy ****... My eyes water every time I think about what the sky looked like that night.

1. What is the main difference between a 6" dobsonian and a 10" dobsonian?

The main difference between a 6" dobsonian and a 10" dobsonian is the size of the aperture, which is the diameter of the primary mirror. The 10" dobsonian has a larger aperture, allowing for more light to enter the telescope and providing a clearer and brighter image.

2. Does a larger aperture always mean better image quality?

In general, a larger aperture does result in better image quality. However, other factors such as the quality of the optics, atmospheric conditions, and the skill of the observer can also impact image quality.

3. How does the size of the dobsonian affect its portability?

The larger size of a 10" dobsonian means that it will typically be heavier and more difficult to transport compared to a 6" dobsonian. However, many manufacturers offer collapsible or truss tube designs that make larger dobsonians more portable.

4. Is there a significant difference in price between a 6" dobsonian and a 10" dobsonian?

Yes, there is usually a significant difference in price between a 6" dobsonian and a 10" dobsonian. The larger aperture and higher quality optics of a 10" dobsonian make it more expensive to manufacture, and this is reflected in the price.

5. Can a 6" dobsonian and a 10" dobsonian be used for the same types of observations?

Yes, both the 6" and 10" dobsonians can be used for a wide range of astronomical observations, such as viewing the moon, planets, and deep-sky objects. However, the 10" dobsonian will provide better resolution and more detailed views due to its larger aperture.