HW Lab PHYS101: Net torque of pulley system and meterstick position balance

In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking help with two physics problems. The first problem involved balancing a meter stick with unequal weights on either side, and the student determined that in order to balance it, the weight on the long side would need to be placed at 90cm. The second problem involved calculating torque in a pulley system, and the student correctly identified the torque values for each pulley. They then successfully solved the problem and turned in their assignment.
pmalayavech
THANKS, I ONLY NEED HELP #2 NOW, PLEASE
10/31/12 @ 9:10 pm
bump

Homework Statement

1)If the fulcrum of a 0.1 kg meter stick was placed at the 40 cm mark and a 200 g mass at the 0 cm mark, would it be possible to balance the meter stick with a 200 g mass on the long side of the meter stick? What would the position of the mass have to be to balance the meter stick?

2) What is the torque acting on the pulley system below

10-31-2012040104PM.jpg

Homework Equations

LA1=LA2

Torque net= radius x force

The Attempt at a Solution

FROM DIAGRAM
#2, this is my first time working on this type of problem. how should I combine the other "counterclockwise" 2 pulleys? value correct? 10N x radius #2 of 1m= 10Nm

and the other T1=15N x radius#1 of 2m= 30Nm??

How do i combine these 2 forces? Are they negative?I understand 60Nm is correct from the clockwise but not the other. Please help!

Please help -- Greatly Needed

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi pmalayavech! welcome to pf! :smile:
pmalayavech said:
I found the sum of the forces for each body (the pulley and the hanging weight (Newton)) but I don't know how to do the equation, it is a vector so it should be negative one end and positve on the other.

yes, technically torque is a vector

but in a 2D case like this, all you need to say is "clockwise" or "anti-clockwise" :wink:

(I'm not clear … are you asking about question 1) also? :confused:)

tiny-tim said:
hi pmalayavech! welcome to pf! :smile:

yes, technically torque is a vector

but in a 2D case like this, all you need to say is "clockwise" or "anti-clockwise" :wink:

(I'm not clear … are you asking about question 1) also? :confused:)

Tim!, hey thanks

that is correct, so it would be

(20N)(2m)+(15N)(1M)cc=(30N)(2m)cw

(45Joules)cc = (60Joules)cw

there for the net force is a Fnet of 15 Joules counterclockwise

YES, i need help on the first one as well, any idea, please.

hey pmalayavech! :smile:
pmalayavech said:
Tim!, hey thanks

that is correct, so it would be

(20N)(2m)+(15N)(1M)cc=(30N)(2m)cw

i] are we using the same diagram? :confused:

ii] this shouldn't be an equation! :rolleyes:

you should simply be adding the torques (some positive, some negative)!
YES, i need help on the first one as well, any idea, please.

what have you done so far? :smile:

i) yes, same diagram

ii) ok, no equations, I was thinking about conservation, where net force will equal to zero.

ok, cc is negative and cw is positive? -40Nm-15Nm+60Nm= 15Nm

from the pulley, I am looking at the left side as negatives and the right side positives. I hope I had multiplied the radius to the right "T"

pmalayavech said:
ok, cc is negative and cw is positive? -40Nm-15Nm+60Nm= 15Nm

+60 is right, but i don't see how you got the other two :confused:

Alright, for #1

for Larm 1
I did r(1)=0-40
=-40cm
Tcc= -40 x 200
=-800 gcm for m1La2

now for m2LA2
i am stuck

let's see …
pmalayavech said:
1)If the fulcrum of a 0.1 kg meter stick was placed at the 40 cm mark and a 200 g mass at the 0 cm mark, would it be possible to balance the meter stick with a 200 g mass on the long side of the meter stick? What would the position of the mass have to be to balance the meter stick?
pmalayavech said:
Alright, for #1

for Larm 1
I did r(1)=0-40
=-40cm
Tcc= -40 x 200
=-800 gcm for m1La2

now for m2LA2
i am stuck

ok, now you need the torque for the 500g stick, at the 50 cm mark, and for the other 200g mass, at x cm :wink:

#1,

for Tcc= -8000gcm

the fact that fulcrum only moved to the left 10cm (at 40cm), where it ought to be balance at 50cm (center), if we had 2 equal weights on both side, it would balance "cc" at 0cm and "cw" at 100cm, agree?

so, since fulcrum moved to the left 10cm(40cm), weight at 0cm, on the "cw" side, the weight of that should moved 10cm to the left as well to balance. so the "cw" 200g mass should be at 90cm!

yes agree?

also for #2, this is my first time working on this type of problem. how should I combine the other 2 pulleys? value correct? 10N x radius #2 of 1m= 10Nm

and the other T1=15N x radius#1 of 2m= 60Nm??

do i have atleast these values correct?

Thanks again

need help with the second one. please

Just the last one

for #2, this is my first time working on this type of problem. how should I combine the other 2 pulleys? value correct? 10N x radius #2 of 1m= 10Nm

still trying, and no references to check answers with

hi pmalayavech! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
pmalayavech said:
the fact that fulcrum only moved to the left 10cm (at 40cm), where it ought to be balance at 50cm (center), if we had 2 equal weights on both side, it would balance "cc" at 0cm and "cw" at 100cm, agree?

yes :smile:
so, since fulcrum moved to the left 10cm(40cm), weight at 0cm, on the "cw" side, the weight of that should moved 10cm to the left as well to balance. so the "cw" 200g mass should be at 90cm!

no

i] it would have to be 20 cm, wouldn't it?

ii] anyway, you're not taking the weight of the ruler itself into account :redface:

write the equation out properly, or you'll never learn how to do these problems​
10N x radius #2 of 1m= 10Nm

yes, that's correct now! :smile:

Thank you, I understand now. after working out the problem, it was common sense to have to have it at 20cm, to evenly distribute the weight.
8000cc=8000cw, duhh

And yes the "net" force is adding it all up i presume
130 Joules

I was able to turn this in complete now, even though late, its fine. I understand thanks
Timmy

1. What is net torque in a pulley system?

Net torque in a pulley system is the total amount of rotational force acting on the system. It takes into account the individual torques from each pulley and their respective radii, as well as the direction of rotation.

2. How is net torque calculated?

Net torque can be calculated by multiplying the force acting on the pulley system by the distance from the pivot point, also known as the lever arm. This takes into account the magnitude and direction of the force, as well as the distance from the pivot point.

3. What is the purpose of a meterstick in a balance?

A meterstick is used in a balance to measure the position of an object and determine its center of mass. This information is necessary to calculate the net torque and ensure that the system is balanced.

4. How does the position of the meterstick affect the balance of the system?

The position of the meterstick affects the balance of the system by determining the distance from the pivot point to the object being measured. This distance, along with the weight of the object, is used to calculate the net torque and determine if the system is balanced or not.

5. What factors can affect the net torque in a pulley system and meterstick balance?

The net torque in a pulley system and meterstick balance can be affected by the weight of the objects being measured, the distance of the meterstick from the pivot point, and the direction of rotation. Friction and air resistance may also play a role in the accuracy of the balance.