Hydraulic cylinder (Shell) stresses

In summary, the conversation discusses whether longitudinal stress should be analyzed in addition to radial and circumferential stress in a double-acting hydraulic cylinder, particularly in the case of a hydraulic press. The poster notes that they have searched for an answer but have not found one, and asks for input from others. They also mention the importance of relief valves in preventing bursting pressure.
Johnatan88
Hello guys,
this is my first time here take an apology if I choose wrong section of forum.
I just want to know should in shell of double-acting hydraulic cylinder (as in hydraulic presses ) should longitudinal/axis stress be analyzed beside radial and Circumferential/hoop stress and take in consideration.
I searched everywhere and couldn't find answer. I know that longitudinal stress is not important for open end cylinder such as gun barrel, but what about hydraulic press cylinder??

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Since this post has not been answered for 2days I'l take a gander.
Imagine the hydraulic piston to be the bullet in a gun. Any similarities?

Also if it were to be blocked all hydraulic machinery has relief valves set to much below bursting pressure

Related to Hydraulic cylinder (Shell) stresses

1. What is a hydraulic cylinder?

A hydraulic cylinder is a mechanical actuator that is used to create linear motion and force through the conversion of fluid pressure into mechanical energy. It consists of a cylindrical chamber, known as the barrel, which is closed at each end by a cap or head. The barrel contains a piston that moves back and forth, and this movement is controlled by the flow of fluid into and out of the cylinder.

2. What are the different types of hydraulic cylinder stresses?

The different types of hydraulic cylinder stresses include hoop stress, radial stress, and axial stress. Hoop stress is the stress exerted on the barrel of the cylinder due to the pressure of the fluid inside. Radial stress is the stress exerted on the walls of the cylinder due to the weight of the piston and the fluid. Axial stress is the stress exerted on the ends of the cylinder due to the reaction force from the piston.

3. How are hydraulic cylinder stresses calculated?

Hydraulic cylinder stresses can be calculated using the formula for stress, which is force divided by cross-sectional area. The force is the pressure of the fluid multiplied by the surface area of the piston. The cross-sectional area is the inner diameter of the barrel multiplied by the thickness of the barrel wall. The resulting stress values can be used to determine the strength and durability of the hydraulic cylinder.

4. What factors can affect hydraulic cylinder stresses?

There are several factors that can affect hydraulic cylinder stresses, including the pressure of the fluid, the size and weight of the piston, the thickness of the barrel wall, and the material properties of the cylinder components. Additionally, external factors such as temperature, corrosion, and impact can also impact the stresses on the hydraulic cylinder.

5. How can hydraulic cylinder stresses be managed?

To manage hydraulic cylinder stresses, it is important to carefully select and design the components of the cylinder, including the material, size, and thickness. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help to identify and address any potential issues before they become major problems. Proper installation and operation techniques, as well as following safety guidelines, can also help to manage and reduce stresses on hydraulic cylinders.