Hydraulic cylinder speed/force

In summary, the person is looking for help with designing a lifting system for a loader bucket and is confused about how to calculate the force/speed of two cylinders working together. They should talk to a hydraulic equipment supplier or technician to get more information on how to deal with the eccentric load.
grandnat_6
Hi,

I've been reading up on hydraulic fluid power design to design a lifting system for a loader bucket I'm building for my 20Hp tractor. I know how to calculate the force/ speed of one cylinder extending; but I am a little lost as far as using two cylinders. If I have a total weight of 2000 lbs to be lifted and have a 2" cylinder with an extension of 20" on one arm and another 2" cylinder with an extension of 20" on the other arm, both cylinders are actuated by a control valve with both cylinders sharing the same hose with a "Tee" to direct fluid to both cylinders. I know the one with the least resistance will extend first.

When calculating; do I use the area of one of the 2" cylinders and an extension of 40"? Or do I use the total area of both cylinders and the extension of 40"? I'm a little confused because I've seen sales brochures with stated PSI, cylinder size, and extend times and I can not get them to match my calculations.

Thanks,

Grandnat_6

Engineering news on Phys.org
In the set up you describe the cylinders are effectively in "series". That set up would be used when you want to increase the extension compared to using one cylinder. It doesn't increase the load capacity/force. Use the area of one cylinder. The total speed should be the same as one cylinder (if limited by the flow rate of the pump).

If the cylinders were in parallel (two cylinders moving the same arm) that would increase load capacity. Use twice the area to calculate the available force. The speed would be half (if limited by the flow rate from the pump).

Likes grandnat_6
Assuming a positive displacement hydraulic pump then the lightest loaded cylinder will extend at the pump volume delivery volume rate until its loading is equivalent to that of the other cylinder; which, at that point, both cylinders will extend at the same rate until the first cylinder hits it full extension, after which the second cylinder will continue to extend at the pump delivery rate until it hits the end of its stroke (and the pressure bypass valve opens) or you close your control valve at some point along the way.

The biggest risk in hooking up the cylinders as you are proposing is that a large eccentric loading can twist your bucket assembly until the arm bearings begin to bind and possibly become damaged; or, the twisting stress on the assembly connections become high enough to cause a fracture failure.

Likes grandnat_6
Saying parallel would have been a better choice of words for my writing. It would use a positive displacement pump. I did think of the situation JBA described. Would a pressure compensating proportioning flow divider to solve this issue?

Thanks again, you both are very helpful.

You should talk to a hydraulic equipment supplier and/or servicing technician regarding the best option(s) for dealing with the eccentric load problem.

When I get down to purchasing I will ask them about eccentric loads at that time. Thank you.

What is a hydraulic cylinder?

A hydraulic cylinder is a mechanical actuator that converts hydraulic energy into linear motion. It consists of a cylindrical barrel, a piston, and a rod. When pressurized fluid enters the cylinder, it pushes against the piston, causing the rod to move in a linear direction.

How does a hydraulic cylinder control speed?

The speed of a hydraulic cylinder is controlled by adjusting the flow rate of the fluid entering or exiting the cylinder. This can be done through a variety of valves, such as flow control valves and pressure control valves.

What factors affect the speed of a hydraulic cylinder?

The speed of a hydraulic cylinder is affected by several factors, including the size of the cylinder, the amount of pressure applied, the viscosity of the fluid, and the load being moved by the cylinder.

What is the relationship between force and speed in a hydraulic cylinder?

In a hydraulic cylinder, there is an inverse relationship between force and speed. This means that as the force applied to the piston increases, the speed of the cylinder decreases, and vice versa.

How can the force of a hydraulic cylinder be increased?

The force of a hydraulic cylinder can be increased by increasing the pressure of the fluid entering the cylinder or by increasing the surface area of the piston. This can be achieved by using a larger cylinder or a larger diameter piston.