Hydraulic systems problem, ly

In summary, the problem is that the required acceleration for a hydraulic ram is very high, and no standard ram is capable of providing it.
kuleke
Hydraulic systems problem, need help urgently

I need to get an idea of what kind of forces one can get with real world hydraulic systems. I need to be able to deliver a huge force very quickly. The magnitude of the force should be enough to accelerate a 50kg cylinder to 22m/s over a distance of 1.5m. Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org

So 0 to 22m/s over 1.5m gives and acceleration of ~162m/s2 - that's huge.

With an acceleration of 162m/s2 and a mass of 50kg that gives a force of 8100N.

Just to give you a comparison, something with a weight of 8100N on the surface of the Earth would have a mass of ~827kg, which is just over three quarters of a metric tonne.

I don't think you'll get a hydraulic system that will work for you in this application. You'd need something like a compressed air jet or steam ram.

To understand just how massive your required acceleration is, a rocket has an acceleration of about 20 to 30m/s2.

A hydraulic ram that will provide 8KN is no big deal. You can find bigger ones than that in any car repair shop - they are used to operate the car lifts.

Making a ram that will extend 1.5m with an acceleration of 17G is more of a big deal, but not impossible. If I remember correctly, a university that did some testing for us had a ram that would deliver 50KN at 10G acceleration and a stroke of about 1m. So your specification isn't crazy, but it won't be a cheap piece of kit to buy.

AlephZero said:
A hydraulic ram that will provide 8KN is no big deal. You can find bigger ones than that in any car repair shop - they are used to operate the car lifts.

For the record, I have no problem with the forces involved - my local car repair shop had a manual hydraulic bench press capable of providing 3 tonnes of force. I also know other industries use presses capable of significantly higher values (steel mills etc). My issue comes with the next bit as you point out.
Making a ram that will extend 1.5m with an acceleration of 17G is more of a big deal, but not impossible. If I remember correctly, a university that did some testing for us had a ram that would deliver 50KN at 10G acceleration and a stroke of about 1m. So your specification isn't crazy, but it won't be a cheap piece of kit to buy.

It is the required acceleration that is the problem. No standard hydraulic ram is going to achieve it - you'd need it bespoke made for your application and we're talking big bucks for it.

Hence my recommendation to go with compressed air or steam (steam being used on the old launchers on aircraft carriers).

You could do the compressed air calcs quite simply for the required cylinder pressure and work out if you could rig something up. If not, go for steam.

jarednjames said:
For the record, I have no problem with the forces involved - my local car repair shop had a manual hydraulic bench press capable of providing 3 tonnes of force. I also know other industries use presses capable of significantly higher values (steel mills etc). My issue comes with the next bit as you point out.

It is the required acceleration that is the problem. No standard hydraulic ram is going to achieve it - you'd need it bespoke made for your application and we're talking big bucks for it.

Hence my recommendation to go with compressed air or steam (steam being used on the old launchers on aircraft carriers).

You could do the compressed air calcs quite simply for the required cylinder pressure and work out if you could rig something up. If not, go for steam.

Please tell me more about these calculations. I'm not familiar with the compressed air system at all. Also, I don't need to make any of it, I only need to design it and do the calculations. Thanks

Thank you everyone, I think I'm going with the compressed air idea now so I'm open to ideas regarding that. Please bear in mind that I won't have to actually purchase any of this stuff, I only have to design it.

jarednjames said:
No standard hydraulic ram is going to achieve it - you'd need it bespoke made for your application and we're talking big bucks for it.

Hence my recommendation to go with compressed air or steam

The lab ram I mentioned did use hydraulic fluid, because it was designed to apply controlled dynamic loads, e.g. loads that accurately ramped up linearly with time, or even sine-wave loading at frequencies up to about 10 Hz.

If you are only interested in "firing something from a gun" with a given final velocity, a compressed air system would be much easier to design and construct, as Jared said.

Need a hard, fast push? Use a pneumatic system.

EDIT: You already have decided to... well done!

So its definitely decided then, pneumatic systsms are the way to go. I'm going to need to put a spring in there cause i need the 'ram' to return to its initial position as quickly as possible after 'firing'. I'm not sure what materials make great springs but here is an idea of how stiff it would have to be: before firing, it will have to hold a mass of 60kg up vertically with minimal extension. It would also need to be able to recoil as soon as the cylinder hits the workpiece so it doesn't affect any measurements of strain. Also, I'm not sure how you would damp one of these but oscillations after firing are definitely not welcome. Thanks again

You can purchase single acting pneumatic actuators, some with spring return and others are mechanical return. However you will also find available double acting pneumatic cylinders. Point is, to apply the same principals of the dual acting cylinder and use air for your return cycle. The return times will be much quicker than any mechanical methods. In regard to dampening, once again I would recommend you utilize a similar method as is currently being used, in pneumatic cylinders. Control the air exhaust at the end of the stroke, creating an air cushion.

Last edited:

Related to Hydraulic systems problem, ly

1. What is a hydraulic system?

A hydraulic system is a mechanism that uses fluid to transmit power from one point to another. It consists of a pump, valves, and actuators that work together to produce movement or force.

2. What are some common problems with hydraulic systems?

Some common problems with hydraulic systems include leaks, clogs, and air bubbles in the fluid. These issues can lead to decreased performance or complete failure of the system.

3. How do you diagnose a problem with a hydraulic system?

To diagnose a problem with a hydraulic system, you can perform a visual inspection for leaks or damage, check the fluid level and quality, and use pressure gauges to test the system's performance. It may also be helpful to consult the system's manual for troubleshooting tips.

4. What are some maintenance tips for hydraulic systems?

To ensure proper functioning of a hydraulic system, regular maintenance is necessary. This includes checking and replacing fluids, inspecting and cleaning components, and monitoring for any signs of wear or damage. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule.

5. Can hydraulic systems be repaired or do they need to be replaced?

In most cases, hydraulic systems can be repaired rather than replaced. However, the extent of the repair depends on the severity of the issue and the availability of replacement parts. It is best to consult a professional for proper diagnosis and repair of hydraulic system problems.