Hydraulic winch torque questions

In summary: At 1200 RPM, the available hydraulic oil flow rate is 1200/1000 = 12.5 gallons per minute. At 2000 RPM, the available hydraulic oil flow rate is 2000/1000 = 20 gallons per minute. So at 1200 RPM, the hydraulic motor will be pulling 12.5 pounds of pressure and at 2000 RPM, the hydraulic motor will be pulling 20 pounds of pressure.
John Vorberger
I am designing a winch to put behind my tractor, and I am going to power it using a hydraulic motor. My tractor puts out about 1000 PSI of hydraulic pressure, and the hydraulic motor I want to use is 9.8 cubic inches per revolution. I calculated that at those specs, the hydraulic motor will produce 125 foot pounds of torque.

Now, my question is, is 125 foot pounds of torque enough for a winch? I was planning on attaching the winch drum directly to the hydraulic motor shaft, and the diameter of my winch drum is going to be 2 inches.

I am a little confused as to what the 125 foot pounds of torque for the hydraulic motor means. To me, a high school senior who took AP Physics, it means 1500 inch pounds, or 750 pounds of force for a 2 inch diameter winch drum. Most winches are 2,000 pounds or more, so 750 pounds of force is pretty weak.

Where am I going wrong? Can someone please help explain this to me?

Thank you,

John

Engineering news on Phys.org
A 2 inch diameter winch drum is 1 inch radius, so the pull force is 1500 inch-pounds / 1 inch radius = 1500 pounds. You use radius, not diameter, when calculating forces and torques.

Two inches is very small diameter if you are using steel cable. Winding on a drum that is too small both damages and weakens it. More than you ever wanted to know about wire rope, along with good information on winch drums: http://www.ushamartin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Wire-Rope-Handbook.pdf. A good source for wire rope and fittings is McMaster-Carr: www.mcmaster.com.

Likes berkeman
jrmichler, thank you for the help. So I guess I should plan on using a larger diameter drum. Is a 6 inch drum more realistic? If that is the case, I will probably need to gear down the hydraulic motor using a chain and/or sprockets.

I am still confused as to why a small electric motor can pull 3,000+ pounds, but this big hydraulic motor is limited to 1500 pounds of winch capacity? Am I missing something?

That small electric motor is connected to the winch drum through a series of reduction gears. When the winch drum is groaning around at about 50 RPM, the electric motor might be turning (rough guess off the top of my head) 3000 RPM. That would be a reduction gear ratio of 3000:50, or 60:1. The noise you hear is normally the gears gearing, rather than the motor motoring. Keep in mind that, when the motor RPM is geared down 60:1, the torque is geared by the same ratio.

You might connect your motor to your tractor hydraulics and find out just how fast it spins with no load. It will spin almost the same speed at full load, so think carefully about how fast you want your winch to move.

If you want to use a roller chain to gear the hydraulic motor to the winch drum, here is a book with everything you need to know (and more) about roller chain: http://tsubaki.ca/pdf/library/the_Complete_guide_to_chain.pdf. Here's another one that's shorter and easier to use: https://www.diamondchain.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/TechnicalEngineering.pdf.

As jrmichler suggested, the first thing to do is find the flow rate.
When the tractor is running at 1200 RPM or at 2000 RPM, and producing 1000 psi, what is the available hydraulic oil flow rate?

1. What is hydraulic winch torque?

Hydraulic winch torque is the amount of rotational force or twisting power that a hydraulic winch can generate. It is measured in units of force multiplied by distance, such as foot-pounds or Newton-meters.

2. How is hydraulic winch torque calculated?

Hydraulic winch torque is calculated by multiplying the hydraulic pressure by the effective area of the hydraulic motor's piston, and then multiplying that by the radius of the winch drum.

3. What factors affect hydraulic winch torque?

The main factors that affect hydraulic winch torque are the hydraulic pressure, the size and design of the hydraulic motor, and the diameter of the winch drum. The type and condition of the hydraulic fluid can also have an impact on torque.

4. How do I increase hydraulic winch torque?

To increase hydraulic winch torque, you can either increase the hydraulic pressure, use a larger hydraulic motor, or use a smaller winch drum. It is important to note that increasing the hydraulic pressure beyond the manufacturer's recommended limit can be dangerous and may cause damage to the winch.

5. Why is hydraulic winch torque important?

Hydraulic winch torque is important because it determines the maximum load that a winch can handle. If the torque is too low, the winch may not be able to pull heavy loads or may struggle to do so. On the other hand, if the torque is too high, it can put excessive strain on the winch and cause damage.