Torque Required To Move a Vehicle

In summary, John is trying to figure out how much torque is needed to move a 500-pound vehicle using two hydraulic motors. He estimates that the 40 ft-lbs of torque would be enough to move the vehicle. He also calculates that the vehicle should reach 10 mph within 4 seconds if the PSI required to keep the vehicle moving does not drastically reduce once it is moving at around 7 MPH.
John Vorberger
Hello,

I apologize if this is in the wrong sub-forum, as I am new to this site.

Anyways, I am trying to figure out how much torque is needed to move a vehicle that is about 500 pounds in weight. That is including the driver of the vehicle. For a little more information, the vehicle would have tracks that are powered by a chain and sprocket type setup. The drive sprocket would be 15 inches in diameter. I would be powering the vehicle with two hydraulic motors, and at the low pressure/high flow setting, the motors would produce roughly 20 ft-lbs of energy per motor, since I would be using two motors, one for each track, that would equate to 40 ft-lbs. Do you think the 40 ft-lbs would be enough to move the vehicle? I am talking about mostly flat ground, maybe a very minor incline.

Thank you,

John

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello John, welcome to PF :smile: !

Sounds like mechanical engineering alright !
Converting 40 ft . lbs at the motors to forward acceleration involves several steps:
torque from motor to track driving axle with sprocket wheel
(the radius axle to ground is determining there, if it is bigger than the sprochet wheel radius)​
track driving axle torque to propulsion force wrt ground
acceleration = propulsion force / total mass​
My return questions: 20 ft - lbs of energy, you say. Would that be per hour ? Or is it 20 ft - lbs of torque ?
Any idea of the friction losses ? Because when moving at a steady speed, that is all the propulsion force hass to compensate for.
What acceleration would you stil find acceptable on horizontal ground ?
(to be incremented with ##g\sin\theta## where ##\theta## is the maximum angle wrt horizontal you want to be able to climb)

Sorry for the confusion. I meant to type 20 ft-lbs of torque per motor, so 40 ft-lbs of torque total. I think an acceptable acceleration would be to get to 10 miles per hour within 3-4 seconds.

I'm no good at all with this kind of units, but 40 ft-lbs sounds like what you apply when on a bicycle ?
Anyway, if the sprocket wheel diameter is also the distance (that's what I see here) from axle to ground, you have
propulsion force = torque * radius
acceleration = propulsion force / total mass
but you need to allocate a lot of force to overcome the friction.

Check my calculating: 10 mph/4s ##\approx## 4 ft/s2
40 ft-lbs/(15"/2) = 64 lb ?
64 lb/500 lbs = 64/500 * 32 ft/s2 ?? so about 4 ft/s2

I am a little confused about your calculations. I am sure they are correct but I am just confused were the (15"/2) comes from? Like I said I'm sure your calculations are sound I am just not very experienced when it comes to calculations like that.

Also, I just used ft-lbs because that is what the engine manufacturer used to describe torque.

John Vorberger said:
I am a little confused about your calculations. I am sure they are correct but I am just confused were the (15"/2) comes from?

If your chain sprocket is 15" in diameter, then the pull on the chain produced by applying a torque to the sprocket will be the torque divided by the radius of the sprocket, which is half the diameter. You also must convert the radius to feet to have the units match with the units for torque (ft-lbs).

Thanks for clearing that up. The problem with the hydraulic motor, which is the thing that is producing these torque numbers, is that it has two separate modes. The first mode is 13 gallons per minute (GPM) at 600-900 PSI. The second stage is 3.4 GPM at 3000 PSI. I think when I first accelerate, it might kick into the second stage, but shouldn't the PSI required to keep it rolling dramatically reduce once it is moving at around 7 MPH?

Thanks,

John

1. What is torque?

Torque is a force that causes rotation around an axis. In the context of a vehicle, torque is the force that is applied to the wheels to make the vehicle move.

2. How is torque related to a vehicle's movement?

The torque required to move a vehicle is directly related to the vehicle's weight and the coefficient of friction between the wheels and the surface. The greater the weight and the lower the coefficient of friction, the more torque is needed to move the vehicle.

3. What factors affect the torque required to move a vehicle?

In addition to weight and coefficient of friction, other factors that affect the torque required to move a vehicle include the vehicle's aerodynamics, tire pressure, and the gear ratio of the transmission.

4. How is torque measured?

Torque is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb). It can be measured using a dynamometer, which is a device that applies a load to the vehicle's wheels and measures the resulting torque.

5. How can I increase the torque of my vehicle?

The torque of a vehicle can be increased by making modifications such as adding a turbocharger or supercharger, changing the gear ratio, or using high-performance tires with better traction. However, it is important to note that increasing torque also puts more strain on the vehicle's engine and other components, so it should be done carefully and with consideration for the vehicle's overall performance and longevity.