Hydrochloric acid with electrolysis?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of electrolysis to collect chlorine gas and mix it with water to create hydrochloric acid. However, the concentration of gas is too low and the resulting mixture does not produce HCl. The conversation also mentions the dangers of working with chlorine and suggests buying hydrochloric acid instead.
ExplosiveMercury
How can I collect chlorine gas produced by electrolysis and mix it with water to create hydrochloric acid (HCl)? I've tried it several times but the concentration of gas is so low it doesn't even bubble the water in the test tube.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chlorine mixed with water doesn't produce hydrochloric acid.

Chlorine is highly toxic, I suggest you stop experimenting with it till you learn a bit more about chemistry. There are plenty of interesting experiments that won't kill you if something goes wrong.

Likes ExplosiveMercury
All dangerous experiments I do are done outside. Can you tell me how can I make hydrochloric acid? Thanks for the reply!

It is easier to buy than make.

Currently I can't, or know where to buy it (not from U.S) and would like to learn how to make it

1. What is the chemical formula for hydrochloric acid?

The chemical formula for hydrochloric acid is HCl, which represents one atom of hydrogen bonded to one atom of chlorine.

2. What is electrolysis and how does it work with hydrochloric acid?

Electrolysis is a chemical process that uses an electric current to break down a compound into its constituent parts. In the case of hydrochloric acid, electrolysis involves passing an electric current through a solution of HCl, causing it to break down into hydrogen gas and chlorine gas.

3. What are the uses of hydrochloric acid with electrolysis in scientific experiments?

Hydrochloric acid with electrolysis is commonly used in scientific experiments for various purposes such as producing hydrogen gas for fuel, creating chlorine for disinfecting water, and separating different elements from a compound.

4. Is hydrochloric acid with electrolysis safe to handle?

Hydrochloric acid is a corrosive and potentially dangerous substance, and should only be handled by trained professionals with proper safety precautions. When handling hydrochloric acid with electrolysis, it is important to wear protective equipment such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat.

5. Can hydrochloric acid with electrolysis be used for industrial purposes?

Yes, hydrochloric acid with electrolysis is used in various industrial processes such as metal cleaning, ore refining, and producing PVC plastics. However, strict safety measures and regulations must be followed to ensure the safe handling and disposal of the acid and its by-products.