Hydrogen Anion where can I get some?

• Thread starter bauhaus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrogen
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of storing pure hydride and provides a PDF with different methods of producing it. It also cautions against attempting to handle cationic hydrogen without the proper knowledge.
bauhaus
I saw that someone had previously posted
"Does anyone know the ionic radius of hydride(anion of hydrogen)?." But I was curious about hydrogen anion is it expensive to purchase by the gram? Or how is it collected for research and other purposes? I am trying to learn more about the negative ion's of hydrogen, H- for the next science fair. English is my second language. Thanks for any help you can give.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am not an expert, but I suspect pure hydride is difficult to store, as it will lose its electron easily. So, it makes sense to produce hydride near where the hydride is going to be used.

I have found a PDF detailing ways of producing them, some of which may be beyond your means. Nevertheless, here it is:
http://lss.fnal.gov/archive/2005/pub/fermilab-pub-05-094-ad.pdf

rootone said:
Is this helpful?
LiH
Yes. i want it to explode or fuse. Would that happen if i add cationic hydrogen, such as protonated molecular hydrogen or trihydrogen cation?

bauhaus said:
LiH
Yes. i want it to explode or fuse. Would that happen if i add cationic hydrogen, such as protonated molecular hydrogen or trihydrogen cation?
You clearly don't have the required knowledge to handle those things safely. We won't help you to hurt yourself.

Hydrogen doesn't work the way you imagine here.

1. What is a hydrogen anion?

A hydrogen anion is an atom of hydrogen that has gained an extra electron, giving it a net negative charge. It is also known as a hydride ion.

2. How is a hydrogen anion formed?

A hydrogen anion is formed when a neutral hydrogen atom gains an extra electron. This can happen through various chemical reactions or through the absorption of an additional electron from an external source.

3. What are the properties of a hydrogen anion?

The properties of a hydrogen anion include a negative charge, a small size, and high reactivity. It is also highly unstable and can easily react with other atoms or molecules to form compounds.

4. Where can I find hydrogen anions?

Hydrogen anions are not found in their isolated form in nature. They are often found as part of ionic compounds, such as hydrides, or in solution with other ions.

5. Can I buy hydrogen anions?

No, hydrogen anions cannot be purchased as they are not stable enough to exist in isolation. However, they can be produced in a laboratory setting through various chemical reactions.