Hydrostatic force on a plane surface

In summary: If you do similar triangles on the triangles Odh and s xls h. ( I think there is a 1-lambda in there somewhere) and see if the terms are the same, then you can be sure that the equation is correct. Otherwise, there may be a mistake in the equation.
sdaysley

Homework Statement

im required to find the width of the strip of integration across the triangular lamina w(s) and then integrate to find the area

I am given w(s) = x_right(s) - x_left(s) between 0<s<λh and λh<s<h

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have found the equation i think for the first inequality using similar triangles

w(s) = (d-b)s/λh + ds/h (do i need to find anonther equation for w(s) with for the second inequality?)

due to the orientation of the triangle I am not sure whether i have to split the region up into two sections when integrating to find the area

i would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction i don't want any solutions

thanks in advance

Attachments

• physics forums.doc
    160.5 KB · Views: 219
Physics news on Phys.org
You could split it into two sections and integrate over y, then sum the results. You have to find the equations of the lines that form the three sides of the triangle. Your limits of integration should go from -h to -lambda*h and from -lambda*h to 0 for the second integral.

your function "w(s) = (d-b)s/λh + ds/h" can't be correct on 2 accounts.
In the first term, why is d-b used and not b-d?. In the second term the dimensions are not correct. Some length is missing?
"im not sure whether i have to split the region up" If the functions are different, they must be done separately.

thank you both for your replies, yes your right i copied it up wrong i meant to put (b-d)

how do you man some legnth is missing? a h canceled when calculating w(s). that's fine i was just unsure about the integration but i think that may help thanks again

The term ds/h is dimensionless, whereas w(s) has units of length. (EDIT) Sorry, I misread the d as a delta. (second edit) Doesn't ds/h give the length xl(s). But that isn't exactly the length you want to include in w(s).

Last edited:
pongo38 said:
The term ds/h is dimensionless, whereas w(s) has units of length. (EDIT) Sorry, I misread the d as a delta. (second edit) Doesn't ds/h give the length xl(s). But that isn't exactly the length you want to include in w(s).

erm for the first inequality w(s) would be given by xr(s) - xl(s)? so it would be (b-d)s/λh + h - ds/h - h = (b-d)s/h - ds/h. this would be a dimension of width as the h and λh would cancel with the s to leave b-d and d?

I agree your first term, but the second term ds/h is not right. Can you do similar triangles on the triangles Odh and s xls h. ( I think there is a 1-lambda in there somewhere)

Related to Hydrostatic force on a plane surface

1. What is hydrostatic force on a plane surface?

Hydrostatic force on a plane surface is the force exerted by a fluid on a surface due to the pressure exerted by the weight of the fluid above it. This force is perpendicular to the surface and is proportional to the depth of the fluid and the area of the surface.

2. How is hydrostatic force calculated on a plane surface?

The hydrostatic force on a plane surface can be calculated using the formula F = ρghA, where ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the depth of the fluid, and A is the area of the surface.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of hydrostatic force on a plane surface?

The magnitude of hydrostatic force on a plane surface is affected by the density of the fluid, the depth of the fluid, and the area of the surface. It is also influenced by the presence of other forces, such as atmospheric pressure or external forces.

4. How does the shape of a plane surface affect hydrostatic force?

The shape of a plane surface does not affect the magnitude of hydrostatic force, as long as the surface is perpendicular to the direction of the force. However, the orientation of the surface can affect the direction of the force.

5. What is the practical application of understanding hydrostatic force on a plane surface?

Understanding hydrostatic force on a plane surface is important in various areas, such as engineering, architecture, and hydrology. It helps in the design and construction of structures that are in contact with fluids, such as dams, bridges, and ships. It also plays a crucial role in predicting and managing the effects of water pressure on the environment.