Natural Convection vertical heated flat plate

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of FEA modelling for natural convection heat transfer of a vertical flat plate. The person is trying to compare theoretical and numerical results but is struggling to determine the correct values due to the presence of multiple unknowns in the equation. The problem involves a heat flux of 30W, an ambient air temperature of 22 degrees, and a plate with dimensions of 106x106mm and a surface area of 0.112m^2. The equations being considered are q=ha(Ts-Ta) and q= mass flow rate *Cp(Ts-Ta). The person is unsure of the accuracy of the results due to the changing temperature of the air away from the heated plate. The conversation
Christy001
1. I am using FEA modelling for a vertical heated flat plate and I need to compare theoretical results with the FEA s/w modelling results. I have completed the model in FEA s/w and I'm getting different values for temperatures and because I can't work out theoretical values then I do not know which run of the s/w is correct. The problem I am looking at is natural convection of a vertical flat plate. I have been give q=30W, ambient air temp of 22 degrees and also dimensions of the plate 106x106mm, hence surface area of 0.112m^2.

Homework Equations

I believe the relevant equation is q=ha(Ts-Ta) or q= mass flow rate *Cp(Ts-Ta)

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is to look at the equation above. I know that q is 30W and I know that a is the surface area and I also know that Ta is 22 degrees (temp of air). This seems to be an equation though with 3 unknowns - I know the ambient air temp is 22 degrees however the temp of the air a distance away from the heated plate will be changing as convection takes place.

Physics news on Phys.org
soft ware

Christy001 said:
1. I am using FEA modelling for a vertical heated flat plate and I need to compare theoretical results with the FEA s/w modelling results. I have completed the model in FEA s/w and I'm getting different values for temperatures and because I can't work out theoretical values then I do not know which run of the s/w is correct. The problem I am looking at is natural convection of a vertical flat plate. I have been give q=30W, ambient air temp of 22 degrees and also dimensions of the plate 106x106mm, hence surface area of 0.112m^2.

Homework Equations

I believe the relevant equation is q=ha(Ts-Ta) or q= mass flow rate *Cp(Ts-Ta)

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is to look at the equation above. I know that q is 30W and I know that a is the surface area and I also know that Ta is 22 degrees (temp of air). This seems to be an equation though with 3 unknowns - I know the ambient air temp is 22 degrees however the temp of the air a distance away from the heated plate will be changing as convection takes place.
You're analyzing steady state natural convection heat transfer from a vertical flat plate, and you don't get a match between the analytic and numerical temperature profiles, correct? Is the plate in an infinite ocean of air, or is it in an enclosed space? Is the analytic solution for constant heat flux or for constant temperature?

1. What is natural convection and how does it differ from forced convection?

Natural convection is a mode of heat transfer that occurs due to density differences in a fluid caused by temperature variations. In natural convection, the fluid moves on its own due to buoyancy forces, while in forced convection, an external force (such as a pump or fan) is used to move the fluid.

2. What is a vertical heated flat plate and why is it used in natural convection experiments?

A vertical heated flat plate is a flat surface that is heated from one side. In natural convection experiments, it is used to study the heat transfer and fluid flow that occurs when a heated surface is exposed to a cooler fluid, such as air. This setup is often used because it is simple and allows for easy visualization and measurement of the natural convection process.

3. How does the temperature difference between the heated plate and ambient air affect the natural convection process?

The temperature difference between the heated plate and ambient air is a significant factor in natural convection. As the temperature difference increases, so does the buoyancy force and the rate of heat transfer. This also leads to faster fluid movement and stronger convection currents. However, if the temperature difference is too large, it can lead to turbulence and affect the accuracy of the experiment.

4. What are the main parameters that affect natural convection on a vertical heated flat plate?

The main parameters that affect natural convection on a vertical heated flat plate include the temperature difference between the plate and ambient air, the fluid properties (such as viscosity and thermal conductivity), the geometry and size of the heated plate, and the orientation of the plate (vertical, horizontal, or inclined).

5. How is natural convection on a vertical heated flat plate relevant in real-world applications?

Natural convection on a vertical heated flat plate is relevant in many engineering applications, such as in cooling systems for electronic devices, solar panels, and building ventilation. Understanding the heat transfer and fluid flow characteristics in natural convection can help in designing more efficient and cost-effective systems.