I am a 9th grade student and having problems solving this question

• Thread starter physics kiddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary, the problem asks for the remainder when the sum of fifth powers from 1 to 100 is divided by 4. It is shown that the sum of the first four powers gives a remainder of 0 when divided by 4. The use of mod equations is suggested to simplify the problem. Finally, a formula is given for calculating the sum of fifth powers.
physics kiddy
I am a 9th grade student and having problems solving this question :

What is the remainder when 1^5 + 2^5 + 3^5 + 4^5 + 5^5 + 6^5 ... 100^5 is divided by 4

Physics news on Phys.org

We have;

[itex]1^{5} [/itex] = 1 mod 4
[itex]2^{5} [/itex] = 0 mod 4
[itex]3^{5} [/itex] = 81 * 3 = 3 mod 4
[itex]4^{5} [/itex] = 0 mod 4

and for this partial sum we get 1+0+3+0 = 0 mod 4

Now: what happens with [itex]5^{5}[/itex],[itex]6^{5}[/itex],[itex]7^{5}[/itex],[itex]8^{5}[/itex] compared with [itex]1^{5}[/itex],[itex]2^{5}[/itex],[itex]3^{5}[/itex],[itex]4^{5}[/itex] ?

Regards

physics kiddy said:
I am a 9th grade student and having problems solving this question :
What is the remainder when 1^5 + 2^5 + 3^5 + 4^5 + 5^5 + 6^5 ... 100^5 is divided by 4

I think from your title, you somehow feel that the quotient is material to this problem, but all that is needed is what would be the remainder of the sum of all those powers when divided by 4. Hint, it will be either 0,1,2 or 3. Rama Wolf show that 1^5 + 2^5 + 3^5 +4^5 will give a remainder of zero when divided by 4, i.e. the sum equals zero mod 4.

An important fact about mod equations may be useful to consider here. (a+m)*(b+m) = a*b + (a+b)*m + m^2 = = a*b mod m since the remainder of m^2 + (a+b)*m = 0 when divided by m. Therefore 1^5 == 5^5 mod 4, etc.

Last edited:

Please explain what is mod functions and equations. That's urgent ...

Hi kiddy. Since i think we probably have to be a little tactful in explaining since u a just a ninth grader. Mod function is basically is giving you the remainder. When we say 5==1 mod 4 it means 5 has a remainder of 1 when divided by 4

Thank you all very very much ...

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}i^5= \frac{2 n^6+6 n^5+5 n^4-n^2}{12}=\frac{n^2(n+1)(2n^2+2n-1)}{12}=\frac{(((2n+6)n+5)n^2-1)n^2}{12}[/tex]

Related to I am a 9th grade student and having problems solving this question

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills as a 9th grade student?

As a 9th grade student, it is important to understand that problem-solving is a skill that takes practice and patience. Some tips to improve your problem-solving skills include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, seeking help from a teacher or peer, and practicing regularly with different types of problems.

2. What should I do if I get stuck on a problem?

If you get stuck on a problem, take a break and come back to it later. Sometimes, a fresh perspective can help you see the problem in a different light. You can also try working through similar problems or seeking help from a teacher or peer.

3. How can I stay motivated while solving difficult problems?

Staying motivated while solving difficult problems can be challenging, but it is important to remember that every problem you solve is helping you improve your skills. You can also try setting small goals for yourself and rewarding yourself when you achieve them. Additionally, seeking support from teachers or peers can also help keep you motivated.

4. What resources can I use to help me solve difficult problems?

There are many resources available to help you solve difficult problems as a 9th grade student. Your teacher is a valuable resource and can provide guidance and support. You can also use textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups to help you improve your problem-solving skills.

5. How can I approach a problem if I do not understand the concept?

If you do not understand the concept behind a problem, it is important to seek help from a teacher or peer. They can explain the concept in a different way or provide additional resources to help you understand. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts and working through each part until you have a better understanding of the overall concept.