I am doing a science experience prooving giant ships can float

In summary: OR you could look into the concept of dead weight and see how much of the ship's weight is actually contributing to its buoyancy.
duskwood100
I am trying to prove why ultra large crude carriers and other kinds of ships can float, and why they are stable in water?

The experiments need to be simple and doable at home. I also could use some formula for stability and dead weight and so on. Could someone please help me, maybe point me in the right direction :smile:

I have basic background in maritime apprentice motorman. I am doing this however as a physics experiment.

Physics news on Phys.org
duskwood100 said:
I am trying to prove why ultra large crude carriers and other kinds of ships can float, and why they are stable in water?

The experiments need to be simple and doable at home. I also could use some formula for stability and dead weight and so on. Could someone please help me, maybe point me in the right direction :smile:

I have basic background in maritime apprentice motorman. I am doing this however as a physics experiment.

No one's going to say anything?!

I guess that floating small models in your bathtub is not what you want?

With respect to proving the ships float, I was going to suggest simply taking the dimensions of the ship LxWxH and comparing the weight of water to the published weight of the ship - but that also seemed a bit obvious and a bit crude, so perhaps that's also not what was wanted?

Presumably the question relates more to stability in the water, why do they not turn turtle? Given the low density of the VLCC payload, that seems a reasonable question.

Afaik, for lateral stability the answer revolves around the center of gravity vs the center of bouyancy of the ship. If the CG gets too close to or even above the CB, bad things can happen. Longitudinal stability is another question, suggestions from more knowledgeable contributers will be needed.

As a first attempt, I suggest you familiarize yourself with buoyancy and Archimedes principle.

ty 4 all the help

For ships of normal proportions, the CG is often located above the CB. When the CG is located above a point called the metacenter, bad things can happen.

I think the gist of your experiment is that a larger ship is more stable than a smaller ship, right?

Well, you could build miniature ships of all different sizes and put them in a wave tank and see how they move. Those freight shipping liners are huge, so they aren't really affected by waves. Well, they can still tip over on some bad occasions.

On the science side, you can read up on Reynolds number and see what it says about turbulence which could make for a bumpy ride.

Related to I am doing a science experience prooving giant ships can float

1. How do giant ships float?

Giant ships float because of a scientific principle called buoyancy. This principle states that any object placed in a fluid will experience an upward force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. In the case of a ship, the weight of the water it displaces is greater than its own weight, allowing it to float.

2. Can you explain Archimedes' principle and how it applies to giant ships?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This is why giant ships, which have a large volume, are able to float. The weight of the water they displace is greater than their own weight, allowing them to stay afloat.

3. What factors affect the buoyancy of a giant ship?

The main factors that affect the buoyancy of a giant ship are its shape, weight, and displacement. The shape of the hull, or the bottom of the ship, can affect how much water it displaces. The weight of the ship also plays a role, as a heavier ship will need to displace more water to float. Lastly, the amount of water the ship displaces, known as its displacement, also affects its buoyancy.

4. How does the size of a ship affect its ability to float?

The size of a ship can affect its ability to float in two ways. First, a larger ship will need to displace more water to float, so its shape, weight, and displacement must be carefully designed. Secondly, a larger ship may also be more susceptible to external forces such as waves or strong winds, which can affect its stability and ability to stay afloat.

5. Can giant ships ever sink?

While giant ships are designed to stay afloat, they can still sink under certain circumstances. If the weight of the ship is too great, or if it is damaged and takes on water, it can sink. Additionally, external factors such as severe weather or collisions with other objects can also result in a ship sinking. However, with proper design and maintenance, the likelihood of a giant ship sinking is greatly reduced.