I bought a Microcontroller Experiment Board

In summary: Bill recommends starting with a simple program that uses a switch for input and a LED for output. He also suggests getting a book called "Programming Robot Controllers" and using a junk piece of electronics to practice soldering before starting on the project. He advises caution when asking for help since many people only use assembly language and may not be helpful if you are using a different language. It is also important to start with a basic circuit and make small changes until it is working properly. In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for an electronics project and asking for advice on how to use a microcontroller programmer and experiment board, as well as tips for learning soldering and programming. The conversation also mentions resources such as a book and caution when seeking help.
NewtonsHead
Hey guys,
I might be in over my head on this one but I was looking for an electronics project... I really just into this kind of stuff and plan on majoring in electronics engineering.

I just purchased a Microcontroller Programmer & Experiment Board (by Velleman) at Radioshack because it looked interesting.

Anyways, can someone explain to me what I might be able to do with such a thing. I hardly know anything about microcontrollers.
It came with the circuit board and many small electronic components (resistors, diodes, LEDs, transistors) and more.
Do I just put them on the board and plug it into my computer to program it. Then what can I make this microcontroller do?

Thanks guys, I really want to increase my understanding about electronics before I dive too deep into the classes.
Any advice would help

Computer science news on Phys.org
Finding the answers and getting this to work will be a great first step for you on the path to EE.

Soldering it together will be good. If you don't have some experience with soldering then perhaps you can find something else to practice on first so that you can make mistakes and learn on something that can be discarded. Any junk piece of electronics with a circuit board can be a great practice project. Try removing items without overheating them until the part is dead. Then try soldering things back on. Looking for soldering tutorial videos might help you IF you can find a good one.

Then getting the software installed will be good.

After that there may be a tiny example program, perhaps something that uses a switch to give input to the processor and uses a LED to give output. See if you can get that tiny demo program working. That will be a great accomplishment.

After that will probably be learning the language used to write programs for the processor. That may be assembly language or may be something like BASIC or C. If you haven't had any programming experience then this will take some study.

There is a book, perhaps a little old by now, called "Programming Robot Controllers" that can give you lots of ideas. It uses C for a programming language and a compiler to translate the C into the binary for loading into the processor. Even if you don't use C that book might give you some ideas about what you can do. Caution: the versions of all the programs used have changed repeatedly since the book was published and you can't just blindly follow the steps to get them installed and working, but it still might give you some ideas to start. Caution: many people only use assembly language for these parts and if you ask for help and tell them you are using another language they will often reply that your first problem is you are not using their language, you are stupid, that is your problem.

Starting with a very simple program with simple inputs and outputs is a good idea. Then making the smallest changes, seeing it often doesn't work, trying to figure out why, and making small changes until you get it right is a good strategy.

Hey Bill, thanks for replying.
I am starting to get excited about this... mostly for the programming part. I have no experience with soldering but I plan on researching it a bunch first. I ripped apart an old stereo system and have some broken circuit boards. Is this what you mean by a junk piece of electronics? It already has the components soldered on there so maybe I would be better off buying a small bread board to make a basic circuit on?

NewtonsHead said:
Hey Bill, thanks for replying.
I am starting to get excited about this... mostly for the programming part.

Wonderful!

NewtonsHead said:
I have no experience with soldering but I plan on researching it a bunch first. I ripped apart an old stereo system and have some broken circuit boards. Is this what you mean by a junk piece of electronics? It already has the components soldered on there so maybe I would be better off buying a small bread board to make a basic circuit on?

Exactly. You are trying to learn the amount of heat to just make a good solder joint, but not so much that you have roasted the resistor or capacitor or LED until they are now a dead part.

I wasn't meaning that you would use the junk board to build your new project on, just to learn how to solder and unsolder parts cleanly and gently.

For building a circuit you might see if Radio Shack still sells project boards that you can solder onto. Or there were little white plastic boards with lots of little spring contacts hidden under the surface. For some projects that means you can just gently plug in the leads.

Good luck on your adventure

I would first like to congratulate you on your interest in electronics and your purchase of the Microcontroller Experiment Board. This is a great first step towards understanding and exploring the world of microcontrollers.

To answer your question, a microcontroller is a small computer on a single integrated circuit that is used to control electronic devices. It is essentially a tiny computer that can be programmed to perform specific tasks. With the help of the components included in your kit, you can build various electronic projects such as robots, sensors, and other interactive devices.

To get started, you will need to connect the components to the circuit board and use the provided software to program the microcontroller. This will allow you to control the behavior of the components and create different functions and interactions.

Some possible projects you can create with your Microcontroller Experiment Board include a digital thermometer, a light sensor, or a simple game. The possibilities are endless, and it all depends on your creativity and willingness to learn.

My advice would be to start with simple projects and gradually increase the complexity as you become more comfortable with programming and understanding electronic circuits. Remember to always follow safety precautions and have fun while exploring the world of electronics. Good luck on your journey!

What is a Microcontroller Experiment Board?

A Microcontroller Experiment Board is a hardware platform used for learning and experimenting with microcontrollers, which are small computers designed for controlling electronic devices. It typically includes a microcontroller chip, input/output pins, and various components to support programming and testing.

What can I do with a Microcontroller Experiment Board?

With a Microcontroller Experiment Board, you can learn how to program and control electronic devices such as sensors, motors, and lights. You can also practice coding in various programming languages and explore different microcontroller architectures and features.

Is a Microcontroller Experiment Board suitable for beginners?

Yes, a Microcontroller Experiment Board is a great tool for beginners to learn about microcontrollers and electronics. It typically comes with instructional materials and beginner-friendly programming software to help you get started.

How do I choose the right Microcontroller Experiment Board?

When choosing a Microcontroller Experiment Board, consider factors such as your skill level, the type of microcontroller you want to learn, the programming language you prefer, and the components and features included in the board. It's also helpful to read reviews and compare different options before making a decision.

Can I use a Microcontroller Experiment Board for real-world projects?

While a Microcontroller Experiment Board is primarily used for learning and experimentation, many people also use it for creating real-world projects. Once you have a good understanding of microcontrollers and programming, you can apply your skills to design and build various electronic devices and systems.