I can't figure out what's going on with these sqrt[3] terms (3-Phase AC Mains question)

In summary: The phase currents are then## I1 = 120\frac {KVA} {3\sqrt 3 } = 36KVA#### I2 = 230\frac {V} {3\sqrt 3 } = 90KVA##
thatsmessedup
Homework Statement
EXAMPLE 2.7
Three 1φ, 50 kVA, 2300=230 V, 60 Hz transformers are connected to form a 3φ, 4000=230 V
transformer bank. The equivalent impedance of each transformer referred to low voltage is
0:012 + j0:016 Ω. The 3φ transformer supplies a 3φ, 120 kVA, 230 V, 0:85 PF (lag) load.
(a) Draw a schematic diagram showing the transformer connection.
(b) Determine the transformer winding currents.
(c) Determine the primary voltage (line-to-line) required.
(d) Determine the voltage regulation
Relevant Equations
Please see attached
In this example I am thoroughly confused on why Is is divided by sqrt(3). My understanding is that the transformer supplies 3 phase (which is always described in line to line or Y connected). So the current in the winding should be 120[KVA]/230[V] then multiplied by sqrt(3) to convert it to delta line current. Then I2 would be Is divided by sqrt(3) to get the phase current.

Where are the appropiate formulas or diagrams that will make this problem make more sense?
Thanks!

1.JPG

2.7a.JPG

This is where I am seeing that I should multiply sqrt(3) to get the delta line current. (exuding the a because I am not going from one transformer to the other)
Capture.JPG

Attachments

• 2.7a.JPG
    2.7a.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 290
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you draw three delta-connected resistances representing the load, in place of that rectangle, and calculate the current in each resistance of that load, it's 120kVA ÷ 3 ÷ 230V

But Is in the diagram is the sum of two of these currents. Is is the line current of a delta-connected load having that value of phase current.

Likes thatsmessedup
thatsmessedup said:
In this example I am thoroughly confused on why Is is divided by sqrt(3).

(My understanding is that the transformer supplies 3 phase (which is always described in line to line or Y connected). So the current in the winding should be 120[KVA]/230[V] then multiplied by sqrt(3) to convert it to delta line current. Then I2 would be Is divided by sqrt(3) to get the phase current.)

This is where I am seeing that I should multiply sqrt(3) to get the delta line current. (exuding the a because I am not going from one transformer to the other)
View attachment 257931
The reason is, as you suggest, the same as for the voltages in the primary. If you look at the phase diagrams, you can see the relation.
1583140231161.png

So, looking only at magnitudes,
## V = V1 \cos {30} + V2 \cos {30} = V1 \sqrt 3 \, \text { or } V1 = \frac {V}{\sqrt3}##
Similarly ## I = I1 \cos {30} + I2 \cos {30} = I1 \sqrt 3 ##

Likes thatsmessedup

1. What is a sqrt[3] term in 3-Phase AC mains?

A sqrt[3] term in 3-Phase AC mains refers to the square root of three, which is a mathematical constant used in the calculation of three-phase power systems. It is represented by the Greek letter "√3" and is used to determine the phase to phase voltage in a three-phase AC circuit.

2. How is the sqrt[3] term used in 3-Phase AC mains calculations?

The sqrt[3] term is used in 3-Phase AC mains calculations to determine the phase to phase voltage. It is multiplied by the line voltage to obtain the phase to phase voltage. This is necessary because in a three-phase system, the line voltage is not equal to the phase to phase voltage. The sqrt[3] term helps to adjust for this difference.

3. Why is the sqrt[3] term necessary in 3-Phase AC mains calculations?

The sqrt[3] term is necessary in 3-Phase AC mains calculations because it helps to accurately determine the phase to phase voltage in a three-phase system. Without it, the calculated voltage would be incorrect and could lead to errors in the system. The sqrt[3] term is a crucial part of the calculations for three-phase power systems.

4. Can the sqrt[3] term be simplified or removed from 3-Phase AC mains calculations?

No, the sqrt[3] term cannot be simplified or removed from 3-Phase AC mains calculations. It is a fundamental part of the equations used to calculate three-phase power systems. Attempting to simplify or remove the sqrt[3] term would result in incorrect calculations and could potentially damage the system.

5. Are there any other mathematical constants used in 3-Phase AC mains calculations?

Yes, there are other mathematical constants used in 3-Phase AC mains calculations, such as the power factor and the square root of two (√2). These constants are used in different equations to determine various aspects of three-phase power systems, such as power, current, and impedance. However, the sqrt[3] term is the most commonly used constant in these calculations.