I don't know what this electronic circuit does

In summary: D could stand for "sum" because the output is the sum of the two inputs, and B could stand for "carry" because the output is the carry of the two inputs.
jacklll
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
I have a homework question that asks me to draw up a truth table for the attached circuit.

As you can see I did this (I think correctly). There is also an attached question asking what function the circuit serves - I am not sure what function this is

MOS0tys.png
Any pointers appreciated.

Attachments

• 6oummfx.png
    6oummfx.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 445
  • MOS0tys.png
    MOS0tys.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 830
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jackill. :welcome:

Why did you call one output "sum" and the other "carry"?

Along the same lines as NascentOxygen's post, What do you think "D" and "B" could stand for?

Oops - I originally thought this was a half adder but later figured that wasn't correct. I forgot to change the boxes before I uploaded the image.

LOL, I tried to cheat and use Google Images to match on the circuit posted. This was the return... o0)

About 3 results (0.77 seconds)
ZUVi5E4U8u-u8g5wYGRJocjPniOdvmL6vf09akCcrpxbS3RLdLh6Fo_E18pp093CHxmy=s151.jpg

Image size:
800 × 450
No other sizes of this image found.
Best guess for this image: screenshot

Attachments

• ZUVi5E4U8u-u8g5wYGRJocjPniOdvmL6vf09akCcrpxbS3RLdLh6Fo_E18pp093CHxmy=s151.jpg
    ZUVi5E4U8u-u8g5wYGRJocjPniOdvmL6vf09akCcrpxbS3RLdLh6Fo_E18pp093CHxmy=s151.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 720
jacklll said:
Oops - I originally thought this was a half adder but later figured that wasn't correct. I forgot to change the boxes before I uploaded the image.

I guess there is a difference between what this circuit does, and what you thought the circuit did.

berkeman said:
LOL, I tried to cheat and use Google Images to match on the circuit posted. This was the return... o0)

About 3 results (0.77 seconds)
View attachment 225514
Image size:
800 × 450
No other sizes of this image found.
Best guess for this image: screenshot
Narrow down the image to just the circuit:
Circuit.JPG

Then search again :wink:

Attachments

• Circuit.JPG
    Circuit.JPG
    2.1 KB · Views: 389
Likes berkeman
jacklll said:
Hint: You weren't too far out of the ball park.

Likes berkeman
a172a616d71c340624f7515b8b4e6d3a.jpg

what your not seeing is an exclusive xnor gate

Attachments

• a172a616d71c340624f7515b8b4e6d3a.jpg
    a172a616d71c340624f7515b8b4e6d3a.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 400
Likes berkeman
OK guys, the deadline is up and I couldn't figure it out using your hints :(

Really appreciate the efforts though and I will format my question better next time as per the forum rules.

jacklll said:
OK guys, the deadline is up and I couldn't figure it out using your hints :(
See the hint in post #7 above. :smile:

jacklll said:
OK guys, the deadline is up and I couldn't figure it out using your hints.

My previous post contained an (intended) obscure hint:

George Jones said:
there is a difference

I figured it out form your truth table, and from

Janus said:
Along the same lines as NascentOxygen's post, What do you think "D" and "B" could stand for?

1. What is the purpose of this electronic circuit?

The purpose of an electronic circuit is to control the flow of electricity in order to perform a specific function, such as amplifying a signal or converting it into different forms. The exact purpose of a circuit can vary depending on its design and components.

2. How does this electronic circuit work?

Electronic circuits work by utilizing the properties of different components, such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors, to control the flow of electricity. By arranging these components in a specific way, the circuit can perform a desired function.

3. What components are used in this electronic circuit?

The components used in an electronic circuit can vary depending on its purpose, but common components include resistors, capacitors, transistors, and integrated circuits. These components work together to control the flow of electricity and perform a specific function.

4. Can this electronic circuit be modified or improved?

Yes, electronic circuits can be modified or improved by changing the types or values of components used, rearranging the components, or adding new components. However, modifying a circuit requires a thorough understanding of its design and purpose.

5. How can I determine what this electronic circuit does?

To determine what an electronic circuit does, you can analyze its components, their values, and how they are connected. You can also refer to the circuit's design or schematics, if available. If you are unsure, it is best to consult a professional or conduct further research to fully understand the circuit's purpose.