I don't understand a step in my notes, about Taylor expansion

In summary, the conversation discusses the implications of equations (1) and (2), where (2) is derived from (1) using the Taylor expansion. The expansion is done around the point t and the function is used to obtain the expression for the first derivative. The resulting expression is then plugged into (2) to obtain the final equation.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[itex]P_0 (t+dt)=P_0(t)(1-\gamma dt )[/itex] (1)
Therefore [itex]P_0 (t)+\frac{dP_0 (t)}{dt} \approx P_0 (t)-\gamma P_0(t)dt[/itex]. (2)
Where the approximation is due to a Taylor expansion apparently.

Homework Equations

Taylor expansion of f around [itex]x_0[/itex] : [itex]f(x)\approx f(x_0)+\frac{df(x_0)}{dx}(x-x_0)[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Considering that (1) holds true, I do not understand the implication. In other words I don't understand why (2) is true.
I also do not understand the Taylor expansion used in equation (2). What is the point being expanded around?
Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
From (1), they obtain an expression for the first derivative, using the definition of first derivative from the Taylor expanson. They then plug that in on the left hand side of (2) to obtain the right hand side.

Also, the function is expanded around the point [itex]t[/itex].

Sourabh N said:
From (1), they obtain an expression for the first derivative, using the definition of first derivative from the Taylor expanson. They then plug that in on the left hand side of (2) to obtain the right hand side.

Also, the function is expanded around the point [itex]t[/itex].
Hi Sourab, thanks for helping me.
Edit: I got it! thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Related to I don't understand a step in my notes, about Taylor expansion

1. What is a Taylor expansion?

A Taylor expansion is a mathematical series used to approximate a function around a specific point. It is a way to represent a complicated function as a sum of simpler functions, making it easier to analyze and calculate.

2. Why is Taylor expansion useful?

Taylor expansion allows us to approximate a function with polynomials, which are easier to work with. This makes it useful in many areas of mathematics and science, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do you perform a Taylor expansion?

To perform a Taylor expansion, you need to have knowledge of calculus and series. The general formula for a Taylor expansion is f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(x-a)^3/3! + ..., where f(a) is the value of the function at the point a and f'(a), f''(a), etc. are the derivatives of the function evaluated at a.

4. What is the purpose of using higher order terms in a Taylor expansion?

Higher order terms in a Taylor expansion help to improve the accuracy of the approximation. The more terms you include, the closer the approximation will be to the actual function. However, including too many terms can also lead to more complicated calculations and may not always be necessary.

5. Can a Taylor expansion be used for any function?

While a Taylor expansion can be used for many functions, it is not always applicable. The function must be differentiable and have a continuous set of derivatives at the point of expansion. Some functions, such as those with discontinuities or singularities, may not have a valid Taylor expansion.