I don't understand about infinitesimal translation

In summary: Thanks for catching that. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinitesimal translation and the limit of this concept as N approaches infinity. The relationship between the translation operator and the wave function is also mentioned.
Another
TL;DR Summary
I don't understand about infinitesimal translation
QM1.1.png

and
QM1.png

But

QM2.png

The infinitesimal translation denoted by equ 1.6.12 and 1.6.32

And then i understand about equation 1.6.35 but equation 1.6.36

Why they take limit N go to inf ? , multiply 1/ N ? and power N ?

So is the relationship below still true?

## F(Δ x'\hat{x}) = 1 - \frac{i p_x \dot{} Δ x'\hat{x} }{\bar{h}} = lim_{N → ∞} (1 - \frac{i p_x Δ x'}{N\bar{h}})^N ## ?

Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to displace a system by ##\Delta x##, you can do that in ##N## smaller steps of ##\frac{\Delta x}{N}##. Each of these steps is carried out by the operator that translates a state by ##\frac{\Delta x}{N}##. Carrying out one operation after another is represented by operator multiplication. So, in simple notation:
$$T(\Delta x) = T(\frac{\Delta x}{N})^N$$
You can then imagine taking the limit of this as ##N \rightarrow \infty##. And, in this case, looking at the form that ##T(\frac{\Delta x}{N})## takes, the limit is an exponential.

Likes bhobba, etotheipi, Ishika_96_sparkles and 3 others
Another, maybe simpler, way is to realize that
$$\mathcal{T}(x+\mathrm{d} x) =\mathcal{T}(\mathrm{d} x) \mathcal{T}(x) $$
and thus (using natural units with ##\hbar=1##)
$$\mathcal{T}(x+\mathrm{d}x)-\mathcal{T}(x) = [\mathcal{T}(\mathrm{d} x)-1]\mathcal{T}(x) =-\mathrm{i}\hat{p} \mathrm{d} x \mathcal{T}(x)$$
or
$$\mathcal{T}'(x)=-\mathrm{i} \hat{p} \mathcal{T}(x) \; \Rightarrow \; \mathcal{T}(x)=\exp(-\mathrm{i} \hat{p} x).$$
It's also realized easily in the position representation of a wave function [EDIT: Corrected in view of #4]:
$$\mathcal{T}(a) \psi(x)=\exp(-\mathrm{i} \hat{p} a) \psi(x) = \exp(-a \mathrm{d}_x) \psi(x) = (1-a \mathrm{d}x + a^2/2 \mathrm{d}_x^j+\cdots) \psi(x) = \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{j!} (-a)^j \mathrm{d}_x^2 \psi(x)=\psi(x-a).$$

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Another and etotheipi
vanhees71 said:
It's also realized easily in the position representation of a wave function:
$$\mathcal{T}(a) \psi(x)=\exp(-\mathrm{i} \hat{p} a) \psi(x) = \exp(-a \mathrm{d}_x) \psi(x) = (1-a \mathrm{d}x + a^2/2 \mathrm{d}_x^2 +\cdots) \psi(x) = \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{j!} (-a)^j \mathrm{d}_x^2 \psi(x)=\psi(x-a).$$
Shouldn't the last part read as follows?

$$\mathcal{T}(a) \psi(x)=\exp(-a \mathrm{d}_x) \psi(x) = (1-a \mathrm{d}_x + (a^2/2!) \, \mathrm{d}_x^2 +\cdots) \psi(x) = \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{j!} (-a)^j \mathrm{d}_x^j \psi(x)=\psi(x-a).$$

Likes Another
Sure, I'll correct it.

Likes Another, jim mcnamara and Ishika_96_sparkles

1. What is an infinitesimal translation?

An infinitesimal translation is a mathematical concept that describes a small, continuous movement or displacement in space. It is often used in calculus and geometry to represent the change in position of an object or point.

2. How is infinitesimal translation different from regular translation?

Infinitesimal translation is different from regular translation in that it represents a very small change in position, whereas regular translation involves a larger, finite movement. Infinitesimal translation is also continuous, meaning there are an infinite number of infinitesimal translations that can occur between two points.

3. Can you give an example of infinitesimal translation?

One example of infinitesimal translation is the movement of a point on a curve. As the point moves along the curve, it is constantly undergoing infinitesimal translations, resulting in a smooth, continuous curve.

4. How is infinitesimal translation used in science?

Infinitesimal translation is used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is particularly useful in calculus, where it is used to calculate rates of change and optimize functions.

5. Why is infinitesimal translation important to understand?

Infinitesimal translation is important to understand because it is a fundamental concept in mathematics and science. It allows us to better understand and describe the behavior of objects and systems in the physical world, and is essential for solving many complex problems and equations.