I don't understand acceleration....

• Thread starter Robloxian642
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, acceleration is the rate of change for velocity and in order for an electron to reach 200m/s in 3 minutes, it needs to accelerate at 66.7m/s2 every minute or 1.11m/s2 every second. However, based on the given information, 200m/s seems slow for a particle accelerator and it may be worth double checking the numbers. Additionally, velocity is the change in position per unit time and acceleration is the change in velocity per unit time. To find the instantaneous velocity and acceleration, take the derivative at a specific time.
Robloxian642
Homework Statement
The problem says an election is accelerated in a particle accelerator to 200m/s in 3 minutes. What is the electrons acceleration
Relevant Equations
a = vf - vo / t
So the teacher said that acceleration was the rate of change for velocity

so in 3 minutes the velocity of the election needs to go to 200m/s

so i used the formula and I found that every minute the electron needs to accelerate at 66.7m/s2 to reach 200m/s in 3 minutes

and for each second it needs to accelerate at 1.11m/s2 to reach 200m/s in 3 minutes

the answer says that every second it needs to go 6667m/s2, I am very confused please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that ##200m/s## is a bit slow for a particle accelerator! Maybe check that number.

• Love
Likes Robloxian642
PeroK said:
I think that ##200m/s## is a bit slow for a particle accelerator! Maybe check that number.
it says 200m/s on my sheet

Robloxian642 said:
it says 200m/s on my sheet
Particle accelerators generally get particles close to the speed of light!

Likes Robloxian642
One thing you could do is take the given answer and find the correct speed.

Likes Robloxian642
It turns out that 3m was actually 3 meters not 3 minutes

Likes FactChecker and PeroK
Velocity is change in position per unit time. Change in position is called displacement. An object moves from position x0 to x1 from t0 to t1. Its velocity is ##v=\frac{x_1 - x_0}{t_1 - t_0}##. Intuitively, if you take t1 very close to t0, then you get the instantaneous velocity at t0. Take the derivative to find the the instantaneous velocity.

Similarly, acceleration is change in velocity per time ##a = \frac{v_1 - v_0}{t_1 - t_0}##. Taking t1 close to t0 gives the instantaneous acceleration at t0.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In simpler terms, it is how fast an object's velocity is changing.

2. How is acceleration different from velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving, while acceleration tells us how quickly its speed or direction is changing.

3. What are the units of acceleration?

The units of acceleration depend on the system of measurement being used. In the metric system, the standard unit of acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²). In the imperial system, the standard unit is feet per second squared (ft/s²).

4. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

5. What are some real-life examples of acceleration?

Some common examples of acceleration include a car speeding up or slowing down, a roller coaster going down a steep hill, a ball being thrown into the air, and a rocket taking off into space. Essentially, any time an object's velocity changes, acceleration is involved.