I don't understand the evidence or possibility of the Big Bang

In summary, the Big Bang Theory is a popular explanation for the origins of the universe because it provides a simple and comprehensive explanation for many observations, such as the microwave background and red shift in galaxies. While there may be other possible explanations for these observations, the Big Bang Theory is currently the most widely accepted model in cosmology. To fully understand the theory and its supporting evidence, it is recommended to read a textbook on cosmology or visit online resources such as Ned Wright's site. However, broad and general questions cannot be adequately addressed without a more specific and focused inquiry.
spacecapitalist
TL;DR Summary
I have seen scientists everywhere support the Big Bang Theory but I don't understand how it is possible. Why didn't the universe just collapse into a black hole. I also don't see why our observations can't be explained by other phenomenon.
I don't understand how observations of the universe and theories behind the cosmos support the Big Bang Theory. For example, the microwave background could be explained through different mechanisms in space. Couldn't the red shift in galaxies be explained by something that occurred in the galaxy? Assuming that red shift does mean that galaxies are moving away, could it be a local phenomenon? I also want to know if there are other observations that I don't know about that support the Big Bang Theory. Please help me understand why the Big Bang Theory is so popular.

Space news on Phys.org
spacecapitalist said:
Please help me understand why the Big Bang Theory is so popular.

Because it explains a lot of observations very parsimoniously.

spacecapitalist said:
the microwave background could be explained through different mechanisms in space. Couldn't the red shift in galaxies be explained by something that occurred in the galaxy? Assuming that red shift does mean that galaxies are moving away, could it be a local phenomenon?

I suggest that you crack open a textbook on cosmology (Riddle would be a good choice) and learn how cosmologists have considered all of these questions already, and why they have settled on the Big Bang theory as our best current model.

spacecapitalist said:
I also want to know if there are other observations that I don't know about that support the Big Bang Theory.

It's impossible to answer this since we don't know what observations you know about. In any case, taking the time to work through a textbook on cosmology will give you a good knowledge of all of the observations we currently have.

As a shorter introduction than a textbook, you could try Ned Wright's site:

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmolog.htm

The "frequently asked questions" and "tutorial" links will probably address a lot of questions you have.

spacecapitalist said:
Why didn't the universe just collapse into a black hole.

The answer to this you can find in plenty of other threads here on PF (as well as in a textbook or, IIRC, in Ned Wright's FAQ). Briefly, because the universe was expanding.

spacecapitalist said:
Please help me understand why the Big Bang Theory is so popular.

Your questions are much too broad for a useful PF discussion beyond the brief responses and suggestions I have already provided. If you have a more specific question about a particular claim or observation after you have spent some time learning the basics, you can start a new thread on that specific question.

Thread closed.

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and development of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling over the course of 13.8 billion years.

2. How do we know the Big Bang happened?

Scientists have gathered evidence from various fields of study, including astronomy, physics, and cosmology, to support the Big Bang theory. This evidence includes the expansion of the universe, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the abundance of light elements, among others.

3. What caused the Big Bang?

The exact cause of the Big Bang is still unknown and is a topic of ongoing research. Some theories propose that it was a result of quantum fluctuations or the collision of two branes in a higher-dimensional space. However, the ultimate cause of the Big Bang may never be fully understood.

4. Is the Big Bang the only theory for the origin of the universe?

No, there are other theories proposed by scientists to explain the origin of the universe, such as the steady-state theory and the oscillating universe theory. However, the Big Bang theory is currently the most widely accepted and supported by evidence.

5. Does the Big Bang theory conflict with religious beliefs?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin of the universe and does not necessarily conflict with religious beliefs. Many religious groups have found ways to reconcile the theory with their beliefs, and some even see it as evidence of a divine creation. Ultimately, the compatibility of the Big Bang theory with religious beliefs is a personal interpretation.