I don't understand this Feynman Diagram

In summary, the e+e- --> W+W- process can be represented by a t-channel Feynman diagram, which includes the coupling of an electron, a virtual neutrino, and a W boson. While it may seem confusing at first, this coupling is allowed and does not involve any decays. It is important to remember that Feynman diagrams are just one part of the full amplitude of a process and should not be interpreted too literally as individual processes.
11thHeaven
Question:
Draw the lowest-order Feynman diagrams for the e+e- --> W+W-process

The answer gives three diagrams. I understand the first two, but the third makes no sense to me. Here it is:

WeirdFeynmanDiagram.png
So this is a t-channel Feynman diagram. As far as I can tell regarding how these types of Feynman diagrams are read, the following processes are taking place:

e- --> ve + W-
e+ + ve- --> W+

But this makes no sense to me. How can an electron decay into a neutrino and a W boson? And how can a positron and a neutrino combine to form a W boson?

Am I simply reading this wrongly?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are no decays involved. An electron, a (virtual) neutrino and a W boson couple. That coupling is allowed. For a decay the W and the neutrino would have to be real (leave the Feynman diagram).

Splitting the diagram into those subprocesses doesn't work well because you assign particle properties to things that are not actual particles.

11thHeaven said:
Question:
Draw the lowest-order Feynman diagrams for the e+e- --> W+W-process

The answer gives three diagrams. I understand the first two, but the third makes no sense to me. Here it is:

View attachment 108644So this is a t-channel Feynman diagram. As far as I can tell regarding how these types of Feynman diagrams are read, the following processes are taking place:

e- --> ve + W-
e+ + ve- --> W+

But this makes no sense to me. How can an electron decay into a neutrino and a W boson? And how can a positron and a neutrino combine to form a W boson?

Am I simply reading this wrongly?
well, the best way to think about it is to not order the time in the intermediate states because a Feynman diagram is really a combination of several time ordered diagrams. If you insist in thinking of it this way, then this Feynman diagram is a combination of what you described (where you put the vertex [itex]e^- W^- [/itex] vertex occurs first) plus the time ordered diagram for which the other vertex occurs first.

But there is no contradiction here. You ask "how can an electron decay into a neutrino and a W boson?" We are dealing with an off-shell neutrino here (it is a virtual neutrino) so there is no problem with that reaction.

Just to add: Maybe you look upon these Feynmandiagrams too literally as processes. The actual process is given by the full amplitude. Feynmandiagrams are terms in its Taylor expansion.

What is a Feynman Diagram?

A Feynman diagram is a graphical representation of interactions between elementary particles in quantum field theory. It was developed by physicist Richard Feynman as a way to visualize and calculate the probabilities of various particle interactions.

How do I read a Feynman Diagram?

The horizontal axis represents time, with the particles moving forward in time from left to right. The vertical axis represents space, with the particles moving up or down. The lines in the diagram represent particles, and the vertices where lines meet represent interactions between particles. Arrows on the lines indicate the direction of particle flow.

What do the different types of lines and vertices mean in a Feynman Diagram?

There are three types of lines in a Feynman diagram: solid lines represent fermions (particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons), wavy lines represent force-carrying bosons (particles with integer spin, such as photons), and dashed lines represent virtual particles. Vertices where lines meet represent the interactions between particles, which can be either an emission or absorption of a force-carrying boson or a scattering of particles.

What is the significance of a Feynman Diagram?

Feynman diagrams are important tools in theoretical physics for understanding and predicting the behavior of elementary particles. They are used in calculations for particle interactions, such as in the Standard Model of particle physics. They also provide a visual representation of complex mathematical equations, making them useful for explaining concepts to non-experts.

How accurate are Feynman Diagrams?

Feynman diagrams are highly accurate in predicting the behavior of elementary particles, as evidenced by their use in many successful experimental predictions. However, they are not a complete representation of reality and are limited by their simplicity and assumptions made in their construction. They are best used as a tool for understanding and approximating particle interactions, rather than a precise depiction of them.