Is my Feynman diagram for production of ##W^-## boson correct?

In summary: Try it this way. Each up-antiup pair can create two photons, right? So do that directly. Then you are predicting ##\overline{p} + p \to W^- +2 \gamma +2 \gamma + \pi ^+##.Now, this is correct. But I think, given the likely energies involved, it is more likely to have the following diagram:The up-antiup pairs can both form ##\pi ^0##s. So here we would have ##\overline{p} + p \to W^- + \pi ^0 + \pi ^0 + \pi ^+##.
Nirmal Padwal
Homework Statement
The ##W^−## was discovered in 1983 at CERN using proton-antiproton scattering
$$p + \bar{p} \to W^- + X$$,
where ##X## represents one or more particles. What is the most likely ##X## for this process?
Draw a Feynman diagram for your reaction, and explain why your ##X## is more probable than the various alternatives?
Relevant Equations
(Not applicable)
I think ##X## appears to be ##\pi^{+}## because it is light and energetically more favourable. Pion should be positive to ensure charge conservation. I am stuck at drawing a Feynman diagram for $$p+\bar{p} \to W^- + \pi^+$$.

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-20 at 22.23.54.jpeg

Is this correct? Is this the leading order diagram or is there a diagram with fewer vertices possible? I tried seeing if a digram with fewer vertices is possible but this is the best I am able to do.

Likes ohwilleke
Physics news on Phys.org
Nirmal Padwal said:
Homework Statement:: The ##W^−## was discovered in 1983 at CERN using proton-antiproton scattering
$$p + \bar{p} \to W^- + X$$,
where ##X## represents one or more particles. What is the most likely ##X## for this process?
Draw a Feynman diagram for your reaction, and explain why your ##X## is more probable than the various alternatives?
Relevant Equations:: (Not applicable)

I think ##X## appears to be ##\pi^{+}## because it is light and energetically more favourable. Pion should be positive to ensure charge conservation. I am stuck at drawing a Feynman diagram for $$p+\bar{p} \to W^- + \pi^+$$.

View attachment 315811

Is this correct? Is this the leading order diagram or is there a diagram with fewer vertices possible? I tried seeing if a digram with fewer vertices is possible but this is the best I am able to do.
The extra u and d quarks are going to get you into trouble. They aren't just going to annihilate into gluons, the gluons themselves would decay into something else.

Think about this a bit more directly. What mesons are made up of ##u \overline{u}## and ##d \overline{d}##?

-Dan

Likes ohwilleke
##\pi^0## are made up of ##u\bar{u}## and ##d\bar{d}##.

So after reading your post, I came up with this,

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-22 at 18.25.01.jpeg

Is this correct?

Nirmal Padwal said:
##\pi^0## are made up of ##u\bar{u}## and ##d\bar{d}##.

So after reading your post, I came up with this,

View attachment 315882

Is this correct?
You are almost there. The up and anti-up collision is going to be energetic and you have two of them happening. So perhaps you will get two more particles coming out of this reaction...

-Dan

Likes vanhees71
topsquark said:
So perhaps you will get two more particles coming out of this reaction
Photons?

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-23 at 22.41.45.jpeg

Does this make sense?

Nirmal Padwal said:
Photons?

View attachment 315921
Does this make sense?
Sort of. Remember that, in general, the more vertices we have the less likely it is to happen. And I'm not quite sure what you have going on with the four up quarks and the ##\pi ^0##.

Try it this way. Each up-antiup pair can create two photons, right? So do that directly. Then you are predicting ##\overline{p} + p \to W^- +2 \gamma +2 \gamma + \pi ^+##.

Now, this is correct. But I think, given the likely energies involved, it is more likely to have the following diagram:
page1_1.jpg

The up-antiup pairs can both form ##\pi ^0##s. So here we would have ##\overline{p} + p \to W^- + \pi ^0 + \pi ^0 + \pi ^+##.

Can you think of any other possibilities based on this idea?

-Dan

Likes dsaun777 and vanhees71

1. How do I know if my Feynman diagram for production of W^- boson is correct?

There are a few ways to check if your Feynman diagram is correct. Firstly, make sure that your diagram follows the Feynman rules, which include conservation of energy and momentum at each vertex, and the correct particle interactions. You can also compare your diagram to existing diagrams for similar processes to see if they are consistent. Lastly, you can use computer software to simulate the process and compare the results to your diagram.

2. What are the key components of a Feynman diagram for production of W^- boson?

The key components of a Feynman diagram for production of W^- boson include the initial and final state particles, as well as the intermediate particles involved in the process. The arrows on the lines indicate the direction of particle flow, and the vertices represent the interactions between particles.

3. Can I use a Feynman diagram to calculate the probability of producing a W^- boson?

Yes, Feynman diagrams can be used to calculate the probability of a particle interaction occurring. However, this requires knowledge of the Feynman rules and advanced mathematical calculations.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when drawing a Feynman diagram for production of W^- boson?

Some common mistakes to avoid when drawing a Feynman diagram include not following the Feynman rules, not properly labeling the particles and interactions, and not considering all possible diagrams for the process. It is also important to double check the conservation of energy and momentum at each vertex.

5. Can a Feynman diagram for production of W^- boson be used for any energy level?

Yes, Feynman diagrams can be used to represent particle interactions at any energy level. However, the interactions and particles involved may differ at different energy levels, so it is important to consider the appropriate Feynman rules for the specific process you are studying.