I get depressed because of LaTex

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter bres gres
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary: Large documents in MS Word are a nightmare, especially if you cut and paste from many other submitted sections that have different...
The shortcuts here for bold and italics are for a different markup system and are not compatible inside LaTex. Also, Latex is not compatible inside the other. So make sure that you have finished one before starting the other. I don't use the shortcuts here unless I am sure that I will not use LaTex. I primarily stick with LaTex.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Courtney said:
Want to be a Physicist? Learn LaTeX. It is the language.
By the time some of the students here graduate or write publications the archaic non-wysiwyg system, out of kilter with the spirit of the times, will no longer be used - at least at user interface.
A valuable step in this is the one brought to our attention by gleem #21, 29.
First time I've seen and I wish I'd known about it earlier than now.

I think this should be incorporated in the instructions for use for students where the use of LaTeX is recommended Or the introductory guide mentioned.

Apart from that, as parts of formulae are often carried forward from one part of a calculation or maths reasoning to another, you can economise effort by cannibalisation.

Last edited:
Hi,

Here is how I learned latex,

Go to stackexchange for your favourite topic, look at the questions and answers.
You can right click the code on that website and it will display the equation in latex.
This is a good start, there is also this: http://detexify.kirelabs.org/classify.html
where you can draw and symbol with your mouse and it will show you the code.

This will cover the basics like algebra symbols, fractions, powers, d-operators and the like.
The greek alphabet is self-explanitory, alpha is just \alpha [itex] \alpha [/itex] etc.
For matrices, this resource covers all of the types of determinants and co-ordinate or co-ordinate free matrices/arrays: https://www.overleaf.com/learn/latex/Matrices

Integal symbols: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_symbol
Derivatives are used as combination of fractions and d-operations like \partial [itex] \partial [/itex]

After that there's not many more expressions for mathematics. Perserve with research whilst typsetting and you'll be fluent faster than you think.

Tucker121 said:
Go to stackexchange for your favourite topic, look at the questions and answers.
You can right click the code on that website and it will display the equation in latex.
This works here, too. Click on reply and look at the code. It's also possible to mark the equation, right click and then show math as e.g. Tex code; at least it works for chrome.