I got a D in Calc II; Will Colleges Take Back My Acceptance?

• Schools
  • Thread starter sheldonrocks97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceptance
In summary, a high school senior took Calc I at a community college and got an A, but struggled in Calc II with a tough teacher and received a D. They plan on retaking the class next semester and are concerned about the impact on their college admissions and scholarships. The conversation suggests that a D in a fundamental class like Calc II could negatively affect college applications, but some commenters believe that retaking the class and mastering the material is more important in the long run. The student has already been accepted to several universities and plans to retake Calc II with a better teacher in the spring.
sheldonrocks97
Gold Member
Okay so I am a high school senior and I took Calc I at a community college last semester and I got an A. Well this semester I took Calc II at the same community college and got a REALLY tough teacher and even though I studied hard I ended up with a D! I was really close to a C, too.

I want to go into Electrical and Mining engineering.

I don't believe I have to submit mid-year reports to any of my schools so maybe if I retake it and get an A or B it's like it never happened? I have not applied to any ivies or top schools, but I have applied to a lot of mid range tech schools and private engineering schools.

I just feel like a total loser and I'm not sure how I'm going to retake the class, because it will be extremely painful for me to know I could be in Calc III and Diff Eq right now.

Anyways, I was wondering if college will revoke my acceptance because of this. I'm not stupid. I have 39 college credits by the time I was 15. Also, I took 3 other classes at the college and got a B in Physics, and an A in engineering design and either an A or B in programming.

I plan on retaking Calc II next semester, but this fail cost me my associates degree at the same time as my diploma! I just hope colleges won't revoke my admission or scholarships. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on where you're applying to and what major/discipline you tell the schools you intend to concentrate in. I won't lie though, a D in calc II is definitely not something you want a college admissions committee to see. It's obviously impossible to say if a D in a single class is a deathblow to college applications but this is your senior year of high school and you have a D in a class as fundamental as calc II so it's not the same thing as having a D in geometry your freshman year but having steadily increasing grades in math the subsequent years.

But more importantly, instead of freaking out about how a D in calc II will affect your admissions (which again it may or may not depending on where you apply-obviously a D in calc II will look terrible if you're applying to a school like MIT), you should focus more on figuring out why you got that D in the first place and try to make sure you don't have fundamental gaps in your understanding of the material.

EDIT: wait did you already get accepted to a college? If so the story is entirely different. Some colleges might ask for second semester senior grades and others might not but the magnitude of a D in a single class you took your second semester of senior year is not as high as it would be if it was from previous semester classes i.e. before you got accepted to a college.

Last edited:
I just feel like a total loser and I'm not sure how I'm going to retake the class, because it will be extremely painful for me to know I could be in Calc III and Diff Eq right now.

The fact that you got a D means you aren't ready, mathematically, to get much out of Calc III or Diff Eq. You'd struggle and would spend so much time trying to catch up, you'd have very little effort to give toward learning the stuff properly. You need a solid foundation in calculus for the upper level stuff. Don't rush it; learn it.

If you've been accepted to colleges, they won't revoke acceptance for that. At least I would be thouroughly shocked if they did.

Also, if you retake the class, typically the higher of the two would be what get's reported to a transfer school. (I think typically the D stays in your academic transcript, but doesn't count toward your GPA). Also, if you already haven't, be sure to verify that the school that you are transferring the credits to accepts the credit for the courses you are taking/have taken.

Well I got accepted to 8 universities so far. My guess is as long as I don't have to send midterm grades then I should be fine. Keep in mind this is college calculus, not AP calculus so there is no first semester second semester. If I retake Calc II then I can probably have the new grade replaced with the D so it might not be that bad. What would you say?

sheldonrocks97 said:
My guess is as long as I don't have to send midterm grades then I should be fine.

Just focusing on "getting accepted" is missing the point. As Travis King said, you are not "fine". You haven't mastered Calc II. If you don't fix that problem, you are heading towards F grades on your future courses, not Ds.

AlephZero said:
Just focusing on "getting accepted" is missing the point. As Travis King said, you are not "fine". You haven't mastered Calc II. If you don't fix that problem, you are heading towards F grades on your future courses, not Ds.

I second this. Not knowing Calc II is a huge problem. OP, this will cripple your education if you don't fix the gaps in your understanding.

I would retake calculus 2. You are only in high school its not like its going to kill you to retake it.

MathWarrior said:
I would retake calculus 2. You are only in high school its not like its going to kill you to retake it.

I am already signed up to retake Calc II in the Spring with a better teacher so hopefully I can get an A or B this time.

I took Calc I and II in a community college when I was a senior in HS. I retook them when I got to college. It was really smart because they were much harder at my University than at my Community College. Proof-based calculus was tough but it really put me on track to understand my other classes.

What does a D in Calc II mean for my college acceptance?

A D in Calc II may affect your college acceptance, as it is a low grade in a core subject. It is best to contact the college directly to discuss your options.

Can I retake Calc II to improve my grade?

Yes, most colleges and universities allow students to retake courses in order to improve their grade. However, it is important to check with the specific college you have been accepted to for their policies on retaking courses.

Will a D in Calc II impact my financial aid or scholarships?

It is possible that a D in Calc II may impact your financial aid or scholarships. It is best to check with the financial aid office at the college you have been accepted to for more information.

Should I inform the college about my D in Calc II?

Yes, it is important to be honest and transparent with the college you have been accepted to. They may have specific policies or options available for students who receive low grades in core subjects.

What can I do to improve my chances of keeping my college acceptance?

Aside from retaking Calc II, you can also work on improving your grades in other courses and demonstrating your commitment to academic success. Additionally, you may want to reach out to the college and explain any extenuating circumstances that may have led to your low grade.