I got me finals tomorrow. Proving the divergence of the Harmonic Series

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of proofs in mathematics, specifically in relation to the Harmonic Series. The professor has warned about proofs being on the final exam and the use of a lengthy proof in class. The question is raised about using a series test, such as the Integral test, to prove the series divergent and the requirements for this test. The conversation also touches on the use of a more elementary proof and the difficulties some may have with proofs.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

My professor warned us that a few proofs will be on the finals. This could be one of them.

However, we did a proof in class where he listed out a bunch of terms and then did an inequality to say it is divergent.

I personally hated that long proof. I don't want to bother writing out 50 terms just to prove this.

Now my question is, in Math, am I allowed to "prove" the Harmonic Series is divergent using a series test? Such as the Integral test?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not? The integral test is a valid test if you prove the series meets the requirements of the integral test. What are they? If you don't have that, a more elementary proof doesn't involve writing out 50 terms. It just involves thinking and grouping the terms. Why this whining about it?

I used to have some problems with proofs because I had trouble with a "particular case" and a "general case". I just wasn't **** about this one lol. Thanks anyways!

1. What is the Harmonic Series?

The Harmonic Series is a mathematical series in which the terms are the reciprocals of the positive integers. It is written as 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + ... and continues infinitely.

2. How do you prove the divergence of the Harmonic Series?

To prove the divergence of the Harmonic Series, we use the integral test, which states that if the integral of a series is divergent, then the series itself is also divergent. In the case of the Harmonic Series, the integral of 1/x is ln(x), which diverges as x approaches infinity. Therefore, the Harmonic Series also diverges.

3. Why is it important to prove the divergence of the Harmonic Series?

Proving the divergence of the Harmonic Series is important because it helps us understand the concept of convergence and divergence in mathematics. It also has applications in various fields such as physics and engineering.

4. Can you give an example of a series that is similar to the Harmonic Series but converges?

Yes, the Alternating Harmonic Series, which is written as 1 - 1/2 + 1/3 - 1/4 + ..., is a series that is similar to the Harmonic Series but converges. This is because the terms alternate between positive and negative, causing the series to approach a finite value as the number of terms increases.

5. How does the divergence of the Harmonic Series relate to the concept of infinity?

The divergence of the Harmonic Series is related to the concept of infinity because it shows that even though the series continues infinitely, its sum is infinite. This concept is essential in understanding the properties of infinite sequences and series in mathematics.