I had a dream where I couldn't breathe?

• Thread starter hckie
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker had to sleep in their parents' room due to their dad working and their stepmom being on the night shift. They had a dream where they couldn't breathe or move without difficulty and remembered having a large bruise on their rib. They woke up breathing heavily and feeling cold. The cause of the dream is uncertain and it is advised to consult a doctor if it continues. Seeking medical advice online is not recommended.
hckie
So I had to go sleep in my parents room because my dad went to work and my stepmom was working (3rd shift), so I went to bed with my younger siblings. I don't really remember much of my dream, but I remember some main parts.
•whenever I would walk, I couldn't breathe
•I couldn't move without having trouble breathing
•I couldn't inhale, only exhale
I also remember the main thing in my dream. I had a very big bruise on my rib. It started from below my armpit to my waist. It was at least a 4-5 inches wide. I don't really have these kinds of dreams. I also woke up breathing really heavy and cold.

Biology news on Phys.org
It is impossible to tell, what had caused your dreams. Everything between totally incidental and a warning sign of your body is possible. As you can imagine, it will be best to consult a doctor whether there are real world signs according to your dream.

In any case, the internet is the wrong place to look for advice. Even the websites which propose especially medical advice have to be seen extremely skeptical. There is nothing that can substitute a medical examination except a medical examination.

So, especially if those dreams will return, please consult a doctor.

Thread closed.

Likes QuantumQuest, Charles Link and berkeman

1. What causes a dream where I can't breathe?

There are various factors that can contribute to a dream where you feel like you can't breathe. Some possible explanations include sleep apnea, anxiety or stress, sleep disorders, and medications. It's also important to consider any recent events or emotions that may have influenced the content of your dream.

2. Is a dream where I can't breathe a sign of a health problem?

In most cases, a dream where you can't breathe is not a sign of a health problem. However, if you frequently have dreams like this or experience other symptoms such as difficulty breathing during waking hours, it may be worth discussing with a doctor to rule out any underlying conditions.

3. Can a dream where I can't breathe be interpreted symbolically?

Dreams are often symbolic representations of our unconscious thoughts and emotions. A dream where you can't breathe may represent feelings of being overwhelmed, suffocated, or restricted in some aspect of your life. It may also indicate a need for more space or freedom.

4. How can I prevent having dreams where I can't breathe?

While you can't control the content of your dreams, there are steps you can take to promote better sleep and reduce the likelihood of having a dream where you can't breathe. These include practicing relaxation techniques before bed, avoiding heavy meals and caffeine close to bedtime, and creating a comfortable sleep environment.

5. Are there any techniques to help me wake up from a dream where I can't breathe?

If you find yourself struggling to breathe in a dream, try to remain calm and focus on your breath. Some people find it helpful to try to change the course of the dream or imagine a safe and peaceful place. You can also try gently wiggling your fingers or toes to help wake up from the dream. If the dream is causing significant distress, it may be helpful to seek support from a therapist or counselor.