I have a project due tomorrow and i need Help Calorimeter Experiment

In summary, my group is refusing to do any work and i need help with an experiment. I have a project due tomorrow and i need to find the specific heat of water. My problem is that i found the specific heat of copper to be 1.991 kJ/kg*K, when it is actually 0.824 kJ/kg*K. Can you help me with this problem?
CRich
I have a project due tomorrow and i need Help ... Calorimeter Experiment !

Homework Statement

My groups is terrible and is basically refusing to do any work---that's the real problem
My (other) problem is this:

I have a piece of copper that I am using as a calorimeter, I'm placing it inside of a Crockpot, then I have placed water inside the copper cap, next I allow the water to boil. I am doing this to make sure everything works properly, because tomorrow I have to replace the water with an unknown liquid and determine what it is by finding its' specific heat.

However, when i do the calculations I find the specific heat of copper to be 1.991 kJ/kg*K
and if i use the specific heat of copper to find the specific heat of water I find it to be 0.824 kJ/kg*Kboth of these are wrong... someone please tell me what I am doing wrong

Homework Equations

ScMc(Tic-Tfc) = SwMw(Tiw-Tfw)

Sc -specific heat of copper, Mc - mass of copper, (Tic-Tfc) - change in temperature of copper

rearranging I get:

Sc = SwMw(Tiw-Tfw) / Mc(Tic-Tfc)

The Attempt at a Solution

Entering my values I get:

Sc = [tex]\frac{ (41.9 kJ/kg*K)(0.0151kg)(101.0-21.9K) }{ (0.0315kg)(100.3-21.9K) }[/tex]
= 1.991 kJ/kg*K

So I'm off by 410%

What am I doing wrong?
Am I using the wrong equation or am I doing the experiment wrong? I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Can you post the values you're using for your calculations? Plugging your values into my calculator give 20 kJ/(kg*K). Additionally, 0.015 kg of water is only 15 mL, and according to Wikipedia, the specific heat capacity of water is 4.19 J/(g*K) or kJ/(kg*K)

EDIT: Actually, what's your methodology here? Are you boiling water in the cap to get the cap up to 100 C, and then immersing the hot cap in water, and measuring the final temperature?

I used 4.19 as the specific heat and yes the mass if water is very small at 15.1g
DeltaTc=79.1
DeltaTw=78.4
mass of copper=31.5g

Okay, good. So can you explain your methodology? If the water is being boiled, you have to factor in mass of water lost, and the phase transfer.

no the water isn't boiling...Ive changed my method...which yields a better result... I'm heating up an object to a known temp and submersing it into the liquid and using that to find the Sc

CRich said:
no the water isn't boiling...Ive changed my method...which yields a better result... I'm heating up an object to a known temp and submersing it into the liquid and using that to find the Sc

That sounds about right. Good luck with the lab!

Also be aware of errors. Copper has a very low specific heat compared with water, so it takes a lot of copper to heat up a small amount of water.

Ideally, you need to start with a cubic inch of copper. Schools often have these for density experiments. They weigh about 146 grams, but weigh yours.

To avoid tarnishing the copper, you can put some boiling water into a weighed polystyrene foam cup (with a lid).
Measure its temperature, then drop the room temperature copper cube into the water. Allow time for the water temperature to stabilise by taking readings until the water temperature is constant. Do this with the lid on.

Then weigh the cup plus water plus copper. So, you can work out the weight of the water.

This method is good because you can handle the copper with tongs and not lose heat because it is at room temperature.

You know the final temperature of the copper and the water (they are the same) so you can work out the specific heat of water.
If you have to do this with a different liquid, beware of solvents that attack polystyrene.

What is a calorimeter experiment?

A calorimeter experiment is a scientific procedure used to measure the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction or physical change. It involves using a calorimeter, a device designed to measure changes in temperature, and recording the changes in order to calculate the heat involved in the reaction or change.

How do I set up a calorimeter experiment?

To set up a calorimeter experiment, you will need a calorimeter, a heat source, and a thermometer. First, fill the calorimeter with a known amount of water and record its initial temperature. Then, add the heat source (such as a burning candle or heated metal) to the water and record the highest temperature reached. Finally, use the recorded data to calculate the heat involved in the reaction or change.

What are the common sources of error in a calorimeter experiment?

The most common sources of error in a calorimeter experiment include heat loss to the surroundings, incomplete combustion of the heat source, and incorrect temperature readings. It is important to take precautions to minimize these errors, such as insulating the calorimeter and using a reliable heat source.

What is the purpose of a control in a calorimeter experiment?

A control in a calorimeter experiment is used as a baseline to compare the results of the experiment to. It is a sample that is not subjected to any changes and is used to ensure that any changes observed in the experimental group are due to the manipulated variable, rather than external factors.

Can I use a calorimeter experiment to measure the calories in food?

Yes, a calorimeter experiment can be used to determine the number of calories in a food sample. This is because calories are a measure of the amount of heat energy released during the digestion of food. By measuring the heat energy released during the combustion of the food sample, the number of calories can be calculated.