I love biology and physics but I'm not sure what to study

In summary, if you want to study biophysics in the UK, you need to go to a physics graduate school. Getting into medical physics requires covering pre-requisites in chemistry.
Joozeee
Hi,
I love biology and want to go into research but I also love physics and want to become a physicist. In the UK you can only study one at degree level and there are no joint or double majors. So, I need some advice. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There is in fact a field of study 'biophysics', perhaps you should look into that.
Here's a place to start
http://www.hotcoursesabroad.com/stu...s/loc/210/cgory/rh.361-4/sin/ct/programs.html

It lists high quality biophysics courses available in UK, and while the site is intended as resource for students outside of the UK, it's probably useful as well to those who already are resident in the UK.

Edit:
On examination these institutions above are all offering postgraduate biophysics courses, but nevertheless they can probably advise you

Last edited:
rootone said:
There is in fact a field of study 'biophysics', perhaps you should look into that.
Here's a place to start
http://www.hotcoursesabroad.com/stu...s/loc/210/cgory/rh.361-4/sin/ct/programs.html

It lists high quality biophysics courses available in UK, and while the site is intended as resource for students outside of the UK, it's probably useful as well to those who already are resident in the UK.

Edit:
On examination these above are all postgraduate courses, but nevertheless they can probably advise you
Thanks for your reply but they are postgraduate courses and I am applying as an undergraduate.

Yep I just realized that and edited my earlier post.
It would do no harm to enquire with some of them though, either they will know of existing undergrad courses which are appropriate or will be able to point you in the right direction.

Also I found this one could be worth a look at.
https://www.york.ac.uk/natural-sciences/interdisciplinary/biophysical-science-bsc/

rootone said:
Yep I just realized that and edited my earlier post.
It would do no harm to enquire with some of them though, either they will know of existing undergrad courses which are appropriate or will be able to point you in the right direction.

Also I found this one could be worth a look at.
https://www.york.ac.uk/natural-sciences/interdisciplinary/biophysical-science-bsc/
I have looked into this a lot. And there are a few courses but they aren't great or they're offered at universities that I don't want to attend. So its either one of the other. This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make

My experience is with north america, but for what it's worth...

Getting into biophysics for graduate work and beyond is usually done by going through physics. Physics graduates tend to be able to pick up biology more frequently than biology graduates physics up physics.

If you're interested in medical physics... you need to go with physics.

If you're interested in medicine, you can get into medical school via either route provided you cover the pre-requisite course. Physics grads tend to do well in medical school admissions.

You might also be interested in some http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report-2014/majors-that-pay-you-back that suggests physics graduates tend to have higher median salaries than biology graduates.

Choppy said:
My experience is with north america, but for what it's worth...

Getting into biophysics for graduate work and beyond is usually done by going through physics. Physics graduates tend to be able to pick up biology more frequently than biology graduates physics up physics.

If you're interested in medical physics... you need to go with physics.

If you're interested in medicine, you can get into medical school via either route provided you cover the pre-requisite course. Physics grads tend to do well in medical school admissions.

You might also be interested in some http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report-2014/majors-that-pay-you-back that suggests physics graduates tend to have higher median salaries than biology graduates.
Thanks for your reply, it was helpful. Salary doesn't matter to me much, I just want to study what I love. And I am leaning towards physics. And in the UK no physics degree can get you into medical school. Everything to do with that has something to do with chemistry. But thanks

What are the main differences between biology and physics?

Biology is the study of living organisms and their interactions with the environment, while physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. Biology focuses on the study of life at a cellular and molecular level, while physics focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world.

Which field of study has better job prospects?

Both biology and physics offer a wide range of career opportunities, and the job prospects for both fields are constantly growing. It ultimately depends on your personal interests and strengths. However, with the increasing demand for advancements in technology and healthcare, physics may have slightly better job prospects in industries such as engineering, healthcare, and research.

How can I decide which subject to study?

If you have a passion for both biology and physics, it may be helpful to consider your long-term career goals and what type of work you enjoy. You may also want to speak with professionals in both fields and explore the different subfields within each subject to see which aligns more with your interests.

Do I need to have a strong background in math to study biology or physics?

While having a good understanding of math is important for both biology and physics, it is not necessary to have a strong background in math to study these subjects. Many introductory courses in both fields will cover the necessary math concepts, and with practice and dedication, you can strengthen your math skills along the way.

What are some potential career paths for someone with a degree in biology or physics?

Some common career paths for biology majors include becoming a research scientist, healthcare professional, environmental consultant, or science teacher. For physics majors, common career paths include becoming an engineer, data analyst, researcher, or teacher. However, there are many other career options available in a wide range of industries for both biology and physics graduates.