I need an MCNP simulated APR1400 input file

In summary: But please, if you are asking for something specific, be more specific.In summary, someone is looking for an MCNP simulated APR1400 input file. They claim it is for educational purposes, but South Korean users on the thread are skeptical. The input file is supposed to consist of a lattice 16x16 inside a lattice 17x17, but the generated lattice is off-kilter and has alignment errors. Removing the universe 11 pins fixes the problem, but the input file is still not what is asked for.
Islam Nabil
TL;DR Summary
need a MCNP simulated APR1400 input file? which consists of lattice 16x16 inside a lattice 17x17
need a MCNP simulated APR1400 input file? which consists of lattice 16x16 inside a lattice 17x17 ??

Engineering news on Phys.org
Islam Nabil said:
TL;DR Summary: need a MCNP simulated APR1400 input file? which consists of lattice 16x16 inside a lattice 17x17

need a MCNP simulated APR1400 input file? which consists of lattice 16x16 inside a lattice 17x17 ??

Is is just me that finds it a little fishy that someone wants what appear to be test files for a North Korean pressurized water nuclear reactor?

Now mind there's not necessarily anything fishy about it but it just seems to me a strange way to solicit help with a North Korean nuclear programme. Even for education purposes....

Likes Islam Nabil
South Korean, and yes, it may just be you that finds it fishy.

Likes Islam Nabil
May be the question not clear ... I ment need a input file which consists of lattice 16x16 inside a lattice 17x17 pitches
??

I will be more detailed ... How can i make a lattice 16x16 is a univers fill another lattice ... There is a block message always ...

Last edited:
I will be more detailed ... To make this ... I have to make a 17x 17 rpp boxes manually and in the same way its surfaces and cells . Haven't I? I think there is another way ... !

Show us your input file attempt. Either change it to add .txt and then attach it, or paste it into code tags.

Likes Islam Nabil
The input file ... There is a lattice 16x16 in the center 0.0.0 and another big lattice ... If u make the cell 2 which fill the small lattice a univers of for ex u =5 and fill the big one by it ...Always there is a block message or a geometry error .... Try it

Attachments

• double base.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Code:
  222     4 -0.961893 21 22 23 24 -5 6  u=22 lat=1 $ROW 1
This isn't right and the order also looks not normal, -22 21 -24 23 -5 6 may fix it but there are alignment problems too.

Alex A said:
South Korean, and yes, it may just be you that finds it fishy.
Indeed. I don't know what information I ran with but see clearly now that it's a South Korean project. I apologize for my paranoia. There's of course nothing strange about technology finding it's way across borders - even demilitarized borders - when one country invests heavily in military and cyberespionage to the detriment of it's unhappy citizens.

I wish South Korea all the best (and ditto the poor inhabitants of North Korea).

Good luck.

EDIT:

On a somewhat lighter note have you noticed that the more oppresive a dictatorhip is the bigger their hats are?

Last edited:
Likes Alex A
*has a quick look at the hats my own country uses and decides to keep quiet*

APR1400 seems to be approved in the US and EU so I don't see any problems, they even sent the US an mcnp input code in their application, but marked it 'proprietary' so I guess we don't get to see it.

In addition to the previous issue, universe 11 is defined but not used, and the objects in it are only ever applied to # universe 10 cells. This is weird and probably a mistake. There is always that one cell that is just 'space but not any of the objects in it', but apart from that I really don't like #ing. If nothing else it makes it quite hard to read.

The alignment issue is due to,
Code:
   21        px 10.9 
   22        px 31.4632 
   23        py 10.9 
   24        py 31.4632
Which is a long way away from the lattice generated by the other fill, so the new fill copies only out of bounds undefined cells. Replacing that with,
Code:
   21        px -10.2816 
   22        px 10.2816
   23        py -10.2816 
   24        py 10.2816
produces something that looks okay. It's a 16x16 lattice nested in a 16x16 lattice. This might not be the best way to do it though. Homogeneous pins might be more flexible and faster to simulate. There are also tally restrictions on nested lattices.

I don't have a fixed version to upload, I made a lot of changes tracking things down, so my copy is a mess. If fixing these errors doesn't solve the problem upload the new version and I'll figure out why.

Likes Islam Nabil
Maybe the OP does not know why people responded weirdly. The thing you asked for was a model of a nuclear reactor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APR-1400

A detailed model of such a reactor is very likely to be commercially protected (copyright, patent, etc. etc.). As well, it could be subject to export control because it is nuclear information in a world that, with some good reason, has a large amount of seriousness connected to such issues. Even if I had such a thing I would not be posting it on the net.

Later in the thread you seem to just want to know how to do an array. That's a very different thing. With that we are glad to help.

Likes berkeman and Islam Nabil

1. What is an MCNP simulated APR1400 input file?

An MCNP simulated APR1400 input file is a computer program used in the field of nuclear engineering to simulate the behavior of a specific type of nuclear reactor, the APR1400. The input file contains all the necessary information and parameters needed to run the simulation.

2. Why is an MCNP simulated APR1400 input file needed?

An MCNP simulated APR1400 input file is needed to accurately predict the behavior of the APR1400 nuclear reactor in different scenarios. This allows scientists and engineers to make informed decisions and improvements to the design of the reactor.

3. How is an MCNP simulated APR1400 input file created?

An MCNP simulated APR1400 input file is created using a combination of computer programs and manual input from scientists and engineers. The input file must contain detailed information about the reactor's geometry, materials, and other parameters.

4. Can an MCNP simulated APR1400 input file be modified?

Yes, an MCNP simulated APR1400 input file can be modified to reflect changes in the reactor design or to simulate different scenarios. However, any modifications must be carefully validated and verified by experts to ensure the accuracy of the simulation results.

5. Are there any limitations to using an MCNP simulated APR1400 input file?

While an MCNP simulated APR1400 input file is a powerful tool, it is not a substitute for real-world testing and experimentation. The simulation results may not always perfectly match the actual behavior of the reactor, so it is important to use the input file in conjunction with other methods of analysis.