I need the final velocity of two balls

In summary, to find the final velocities (v1f and v2f) after a collision between two balls with initial masses (m1 and m2) and initial velocities (v1i and v2i), you can use the equation E.Ki=m1v1i^2/2=m2V2f^2/2 for a totally elastic collision. For an inelastic collision, the total mechanical energy (M.E.) will equal the sum of both kinetic energies (E.K) after the collision. It is possible to determine if a collision is elastic or inelastic by testing the change in mechanical energy before and after the collision. Also, in an inelastic collision, the final velocity of ball 1
cuajin
m1 = 5, v1i = +10
m2 = 3, v2i = 0

+y
|_+x

How do I find v1f and v2f?

The balls crash into each other and after the crash I want to know the final velocity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the crash is a totally elastic collision all of the initial energy will be transferred into the kinetic energy of the first ball will be transferred to the second ball so you can use
E.Ki=m1v1i^2/2=m2V2f^2/2, so V2final will equal the square root of m1iV1i^2/m2 that's if it is a totally elastic collision if it is inelastic M.E. will equal the sum of both E.K

I was reading and looking at some of the animations on inelastic and elastic collision on Wikipedia and I have a very narrow idea of which is which.

1) Do you know a simple way of testing when a collision is elastic or inelastic?
2) If it is inelastic M.E. will equal the sum of both E.K, what does that mean? Sorry big noob here.

[EDIT] Just noticed something, is this right? velocity final 1 for inelastic collision is always equal to velocity final 2?
v1f = v2f?

Last edited:

Related to I need the final velocity of two balls

1. What is the final velocity of two balls?

The final velocity of two balls refers to the speed and direction at which two balls are moving after they have collided or interacted with each other.

2. How is the final velocity of two balls calculated?

The final velocity of two balls can be calculated using the principles of conservation of momentum and energy. This involves considering the mass, initial velocity, and direction of both balls before and after the interaction.

3. Why is it important to know the final velocity of two balls?

Knowing the final velocity of two balls is important in understanding the outcome of their interaction and predicting their future movements. This information can also be used in applications such as sports and engineering.

4. Can the final velocity of two balls be different from their initial velocities?

Yes, the final velocity of two balls can be different from their initial velocities. This is due to the transfer of energy and momentum between the two balls during their interaction.

5. Is the final velocity of two balls affected by external factors?

Yes, the final velocity of two balls can be affected by external factors such as friction, air resistance, and surface conditions. These factors can influence the amount of energy and momentum transferred between the balls during their interaction.