I need to learn calculus from the fundamentals

In summary, you should start with studying trigonometry and college algebra, and then move on to a good first-year college calculus textbook.
Ameer Bux
Hi everyone. I want to do physics after i complete high school. I am on grade 10. I want to start learning calculus now. What shall i begin with?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ameer Bux said:
Hi everyone. I want to do physics after i complete high school. I am on grade 10. I want to start learning calculus now. What shall i begin with?
Learn Algebra up through all of the Intermediate level, and then a thorough course on Trigonometry, FIRST. Those are the minimum. When you are good in intermediate algebra and know basic Trigonometry, then you could study from a good first-year beginning college Calculus textbook.

Better preparation to begin studying Calculus will include Geometry, and a Pre-Calculus course which is usually College Algebra & Trigonometry, and which often includes introductory studies about Limits.

If you're in a hurry to start learning Calculus, then (1) How is your Algebra? (2) How is your basic Trigonometry?

Ameer Bux said:
At a minimum, you should have studied trigonometry and some kind of college algebra-type course. Most schools usually bundle some of these topics in a course called 'pre-calculus' in the US.

There are introductory calculus books which you can get which can take a student who has reasonably good high school math skills and teach the basics of differential and integral calculus of a single variable.

If you want to study online, to see what you are getting into, Paul's Online Math Notes is pretty complete:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

Likes symbolipoint
I especially like SteamKing's use of the word, "bundling".

Also, do not be afraid of college-level textbooks for a high schooler, as long as you have the algebra and trigonometry prerequisite SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE. Many of them are NOT written to be difficult, and they are at least as good as any high school textbook.

There is generally enough college-prep Math courses in high schools so a student could have them throughout all four high school years, and not even get to Calculus in high school. Usually, Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Math-Analysis/Pre-Calculus/IntenseMoreAlgebra&Trigonometry(whatever the school district calls it).

List of good Calculus textbooks.

Serg Lang: First Course in Calculus
Thomas Calculus with Analytical Geometry (3rd or 9th/ do not get any other edition besides these)
Kaiser Calculus
Simmons ( Although I dislike it for a few reasons, delays things that can be introduced at the same time as others)/ Great set of problems.

Then you have the other calculus books that are much better, but require a level of mathematical maturity.

Read this very good insight Micromass posted
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/self-study-calculus/
He also recommends free books at the end of the article.
Be aware though, to study calculus, even on basic books, you need to know how functions work, including trigonometric functions.

Likes micromass
Remixex said:
Read this very good insight Micromass posted
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/self-study-calculus/
He also recommends free books at the end of the article.
Be aware though, to study calculus, even on basic books, you need to know how functions work, including trigonometric functions.

Note that many calculus books (including the ones I posted about), will actually introduce trig and logarithmic functions in the text. So if you have some gap in trig, then the book will fill that up. It is still recommended to know trigonometry already before starting calculus though.

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change and accumulation, and is used to solve problems in areas such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Why is it important to learn calculus from the fundamentals?

Learning calculus from the fundamentals is important because it provides a strong foundation for understanding more complex concepts and applications of calculus. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and theories.

What are the fundamentals of calculus?

The fundamentals of calculus include understanding the concepts of limits, derivatives, and integrals. These concepts are essential for solving problems involving rates of change and accumulation.

How can I improve my understanding of calculus fundamentals?

To improve your understanding of calculus fundamentals, it is important to practice solving problems and reviewing key concepts regularly. Seeking help from a tutor or attending study groups can also be beneficial.

What are some real-world applications of calculus?

Calculus has many real-world applications, including modeling and predicting physical systems, optimizing processes and functions, and analyzing data in fields such as economics and engineering.