I need to show that (C-{0},*)/{x+yi|x^2+y^2=1} is isomorphic to (R+,*)

• Thread starter catherinenanc
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks so much for pointing that out.In summary, the conversation discusses finding a homomorphism ϕ from the punctured complex plane (G) to the unit circle (U) such that ker(ϕ)=ℝ⁺. After attempting to find a homomorphism using different methods, it is suggested to use the map ψ(z)=z/|z|, which is onto and satisfies the necessary properties to be a group homomorphism. The conversation also clarifies that the desired isomorphism is between C*/U and R+, not C*/R+ and U as previously stated.
catherinenanc
1. I need to show that the quotient group G/ℝ+ is isomorphic to U using the Fundamental Theorem on group homomorphisms. I believe I can get there if someone can just help me find what ψ, the homomorphism function is supposed to be.
G=(ℂ-{0},*)
U={x+yi|x^2+y^2=1}

Homework Equations

Fundamental Theorem on group homomorphisms

The Attempt at a Solution

Note that ℝ⁺ is the subset of G where for any (x+yi)∈G, y=0.
First, we need to find a homomorphism ϕ:G→U such that ker(ϕ)=ℝ⁺.
Need to find: a,b such that (x+yi)⋅(a+bi)=(x+yi) given x²+y²=1 and a²+b²=1.
(x+yi)⋅(a+bi)=ax+bxi+ayi-by=(ax-by)+(bx+ay)i=(x+yi)
We also know (ax-by)²+(bx+ay)²=1.
Then (ax-by)=x and (bx+ay)=y.
So, a=1 and b=0, so e_{U}=1+0i.
Therefore, ϕ(x+yi)=1+yi, since only y=0 will give you 1+0i, which is e_{U}, which makes R⁺ be the ker(ϕ).
This ϕ is not onto.
ϕ(x+yi) is a homomorphism since for any a+bi,c+di∈G, ϕ((a+bi)⋅(c+di))=ϕ((ac-bd)+(ad+bc)i)=1+(ad+bc)i≠***(1-bd)+(b+d)i=(1+bi)⋅(1+di)=ϕ(a+bi)⋅ϕ(c+di). ***this is not equal
Then, by Thm 13.2 (Fundamental Theorem on group homomorphisms), ϕ(G)=G/ker(ϕ). So, (1+yi)≅G/R⁺.
****I went wrong somewhere since it's supposed to be U, not (1+yi).

Physics news on Phys.org
catherinenanc said:
Note that ℝ⁺ is the subset of G where for any (x+yi)∈G, y=0.
and x > 0 I assume. At least if you use standard notation.

First, we need to find a homomorphism ϕ:G→U such that ker(ϕ)=ℝ⁺.
This is the right idea. Then show it is onto (surjective).

Need to find: a,b such that (x+yi)⋅(a+bi)=(x+yi) given x²+y²=1 and a²+b²=1.
(x+yi)⋅(a+bi)=ax+bxi+ayi-by=(ax-by)+(bx+ay)i=(x+yi)
We also know (ax-by)²+(bx+ay)²=1.
Then (ax-by)=x and (bx+ay)=y.
So, a=1 and b=0, so e_{U}=1+0i.
I don't understand why you try to find such a,b. Also since you know [itex]\mathbb{C}\setminus\{0\}[/itex] (or U) is a group it is immediate that the only such a,b is (1,0) since you may just cancel out (x+iy).

Therefore, ϕ(x+yi)=1+yi, since only y=0 will give you 1+0i, which is e_{U}, which makes R⁺ be the ker(ϕ).
This ϕ is not onto.
and it is not a group homomorphism, nor is it a function to U.Try to see if you can think of a simpler way to construct a group homomorphism. Remember that G is the punctured complex plane and U is the unit circle. Do you happen to know a standard way to associate a unit vector to any non-zero vector? Try that for your [itex]\varphi[/itex].

"Try to see if you can think of a simpler way to construct a group homomorphism. Remember that G is the punctured complex plane and U is the unit circle. Do you happen to know a standard way to associate a unit vector to any non-zero vector? Try that for your φ."

Ok, so you're saying that my homomorphism could be ψ(x+yi)=(x+yi)/√(x^2+y^2), right?
I haven't checked that that's a homomorphism, but assuming it is, that would be onto!

Sorry, it won't let me use the right symbol, so for now I'm using ψ.

That is a good idea. I would however suggest writing
[tex]|z| = \sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]
because then you can use identities like |zw|=|z||w| and your group homomorphism is just [itex]z \mapsto z/|z|[/itex] (this is of course the exact same thing just written in more concise notation).

The reason why we might suspect that it is a homomorphism is that multiplication of complex numbers just adds their angles and multiply their magnitudes. The map you proposed would simply consist of forgetting magnitudes. Of course this is not a formal argument, but it suggests why it should be true.

Thank you so much! I'm pretty sure I have it now. You are awesome!

i am confused.

the title of the thread says that you need to show that

C*/U ≅ R+ (where multiplication is the group operation for both groups)

which is true, but the proper homomorphism has not been discussed here.

subsequent discussion has focused on trying to show that:

C*/R+ ≅ U which is not quite the same thing.

You are correct, sorry. I must have been looking at part a of my homework problem when I wrote the title and part b when I wrote out the problem. I had done part a already, as it was the easier of the two, and thanks to this thread, I got part b as well!

What is the concept of isomorphism in mathematics?

Isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a relationship between two mathematical structures that have the same underlying structure, but may differ in their specific elements or operations. In other words, two structures are isomorphic if they can be mapped onto each other while preserving their fundamental properties.

Why is it important to show that two structures are isomorphic?

Showing that two structures are isomorphic allows us to understand the similarities and differences between them. It also allows us to transfer knowledge and techniques from one structure to another, making problem-solving more efficient and effective.

What does the notation (C-{0},*)/{x+yi|x^2+y^2=1} represent?

This notation represents the quotient group of the complex numbers (excluding 0) under multiplication, modulo the subgroup of complex numbers that satisfy the equation x^2+y^2=1. In other words, it represents the set of all nonzero complex numbers on the unit circle, where the operation is multiplication.

How can we show that (C-{0},*)/{x+yi|x^2+y^2=1} is isomorphic to (R+,*)?

We can show this by finding a bijective homomorphism, or a function that preserves the operation and is one-to-one and onto, between the two structures. In this case, the function f(z)=|z| (the absolute value of a complex number) satisfies this criteria, and therefore, (C-{0},*)/{x+yi|x^2+y^2=1} is isomorphic to (R+,*).

What are the implications of showing that (C-{0},*)/{x+yi|x^2+y^2=1} is isomorphic to (R+,*)?

This implies that the two structures have the same fundamental properties and can be used interchangeably in mathematical calculations. It also allows us to understand complex numbers in terms of real numbers, making it easier to visualize and work with them.